Is it typical for brake pads to get worn out after 8,000 miles?

drummer

Greetings,

I am in possession of a 2022 C300 vehicle that was acquired as a brand-new purchase in September of the previous year.
In December, during the performance of a vehicle health assessment, it was observed that the front brake pads retained a thickness of 14mm.

Nevertheless, during the last month, the brake pad warning indicator has shown itself. Subsequently, after conducting an additional assessment of the vehicle's condition, Mercedes has informed me that the brake pads are now 92 percent worn, leaving a mere 2 millimeters of material remaining.
An attempt was made to inform me that such an occurrence may transpire; nevertheless, is it customary for a vehicle to exhibit such significant wear after accumulating an only 8,000 miles?

Is there any argument that can be made to contest this and prevent a £300 charge? While it is acknowledged that the tires are in need of replacement, it seems unjust for them to be worn out after just 8,000 miles.

I am open to considering many perspectives and opinions.

The outcome is contingent upon one's driving style. Bring the vehicle to a specialized automotive service center such as Formula 1 Autocentres, known for their efficient and expedited services. The establishment offers complimentary brake inspections. Seeking a second opinion is often beneficial in several contexts.

The presence of 8,000 kilometers on a 2022 model vehicle seems to be a rather short duration, both in terms of time and mileage, for the tires to have worn out to the extent that replacement is necessary.
If the warning light has been illuminated and Mercedes has verified that the tire treads have worn down to a measurement of 2mm, it is necessary to replace the tires. I am curious as to how, within the context of regular use, the item has been worn out over a span of 9 months.

Regrettably, brake pads (along with discs) are subject to deterioration due to normal use, and it is unlikely that Mercedes would be willing to waive the fee associated with their replacement.
Given the circumstances, I would recommend taking the vehicle to a reputable Mercedes expert, such as MSL Performance located on Armoury Road Small Heath, to have them professionally install new brake pads. The cost will be much lower compared to that of the primary dealers.

Thank you for providing your feedback.

I concur with the notion that the replacement of the aforementioned items is vital. Furthermore, despite the atypical appearance of the wear, it is unlikely that Mercedes-Benz would acquiesce to covering the associated expenses.

Regarding the recommendation to have the brake pads installed by a professional, although opting for this option may result in cost savings, do you believe it would be more prudent to continue using the services of Mercedes at present?
I am inquiring if there exists an underlying cause for the excessive wear of the brake pads. If such a cause is identified, I might request the service provider to address it during the replacement of the brake pads. Alternatively, if the cause is discovered at a later time, it would strengthen my position in requesting the service provider to examine it under the warranty.

I am also contemplating if the second set of brake pads, which I have replaced with Mercedes-branded ones, exhibit an unusually rapid rate of wear. If this pattern persists over the next few months, it would bolster my contention that there may be an underlying issue with the vehicle. Consequently, I would request a thorough inspection of the car, considering that it is still covered by warranty. The effectiveness of the proposed solution may be compromised if the replacement of brake pads is entrusted to an external professional.

Greetings, perspectives...

What is the difference in cost between a Master of Science in Leadership (MSL) degree and a Master of Business (MB) degree?
Do both sets of front brake pads exhibit equivalent levels of wear? In regards to the topic of pads, it is important to consider the perspectives from both sides, as well as the distinctions between the interior and exterior components.

Wearing pads at such a rapid rate would deviate significantly from what I consider to be the norm. I am now in possession of front brake pads that have not seen significant wear after a distance of 30,000 kilometers. It would be very dissatisfying were the brake pads to have a lifespan of just 8,000 kilometers. There is a possibility that the brakes might wear out within 8,000 kilometers; however, if the brakes have not been subjected to excessive force, it would be prudent to approach this claim with skepticism. Based on the information provided by MB.

In my opinion, the exorbitant cost of £300 charged by MB for their replacement is indicative of a significant issue. The task at hand is of such elementary nature that any automotive repair facility should possess the competence to do the replacement for a cost that is equal to or lower than half of the mentioned amount. I fail to get the rationale of attributing significance to an unscheduled item that would ostensibly undermine the comprehensive record of services rendered. Consequently, I would not be deterred from seeking other options. In any circumstance, it is advisable to refrain from using MB pads due to their tendency to generate excessive dust particles.

There is no practical justification for engaging the services of an authorized dealer to do brake pad replacement. The task at hand is very straightforward.

Either a brake expert or an MB Indy would be suitable options. (Notably not affiliated with Halfords), this particular task does not fall under the category of a "Service History" essential assignment.

With the exception of those who engage in the practice of driving with constant pressure on their brakes, which is seen in certain cases, the aforementioned measurement seems to be dubious in nature.

What is the condition of the tread on your tires? If an individual consistently engages in abrupt deceleration, a substantial amount of rubber residue will be deposited on the surface of the road.

Apologies for not keeping up with all the answers, but I appreciate your assistance anyhow. As a point of update...

As it has been previously said, the Mercedes-Benz dealership in close proximity to my location has informed me that the brake pads have worn down to a thickness of 2mm, despite the vehicle having only traveled a distance of 8,000 miles. Consequently, they have sent me with an invoice amounting to £300 for the replacement of those brake pads. Fortunately, I refrained from taking immediate action due to the unavailability of brake pads at that time.
The subsequent available appointment was scheduled for a duration of four weeks, prompting me to get an appointment with a Mercedes-Benz dealership that was located somewhat further from my location but provided a far earlier time slot.

Surprisingly, the dealership conducted an examination and determined that the brake pads were in proper condition, with a remaining thickness of 10mm.
According to their statement, the problem identified was attributed to a defective sensor. Furthermore, they assured that the replacement of this sensor would be covered by the guarantee. Indeed, the user's response can be characterized as an expression of enthusiasm or excitement.

I have decided that I will not return to my local dealership for any future transactions due to a complete loss of faith in their services.

Contemplating the initiation of official complaints, albeit uncertain about the likelihood of achieving desired outcomes. Is it worth lodging a complaint regardless?

This particular dealership effectively represents the brand with great success.
If the dealer exhibits such a level of dishonesty, it raises questions over their willingness to repair the brake pads or just accept the £300 payment and replace the sensor.
I intend to submit a formal complaint to MB UK and notify the appropriate regulatory body, trade standards, about the matter at hand. It is difficult to ascertain the absence of fraudulent intent given the meticulousness shown in specifying the remaining 2mm of padding.

I have arrived at this point belatedly. What is the significance or relevance of the measurement of 2mm? There is little likelihood of the light on the dashboard being illuminated unless an individual has tampered with the sensor.

I am pleased to hear that you have resolved your situation.

I am pleased to learn that you discovered that the brake pads did not need replacement. I had a similar experience at my B service last year, when I was informed that replacement was necessary. However, upon inspection, it was revealed that the brake pads still had 8mm of thickness remaining.

The W204 C250 vehicle has a tendency to experience accelerated wear of its front brake pads, occurring around every 10,000 miles. This issue may be attributed to the undersized calipers and pads, which were insufficient in managing the weight of the car. The calipers of the 350cdi were replaced, resulting in a satisfactory performance of the front pads for a duration of two years or 25,000 miles under comparable operating conditions.