Has anybody here had a BMW 650i and then upgraded to the BMW M6?

CodeCrusader

I have just sold my BMW E46 330ci and have been in quest of a BMW F13 650i RWD or M6 model manufactured in 2013 or later. Despite doing extensive research, I have been unable to discover a definitive answer. Consequently, I have chosen to seek assistance and clarification on this matter within this forum.
The prospective purchase of either a 650i or M6 vehicle with an odometer reading beyond 80,000 miles prompts consideration. Research suggests that the M6 model has a more dependable engine, but the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) in higher mileage vehicles may exhibit less reliability due to issues such as clutch wear from previous owners and overheating. Additionally, anecdotal evidence suggests that the 650i N63TU engine may use more oil compared to the M6 S63TU engine.
I am now seeking a comfortable vehicle suitable for everyday use, while still possessing a preference for high-performance automobiles. It has been widely said that the 650I model is not lacking in speed, however it is worth noting that the M6 variant offers even greater speed and a more athletic driving experience.
Additionally, it has been observed that there are claims suggesting that the M6 model exhibits superior fuel efficiency compared to the 650i model, which I find quite astonishing. Furthermore, when considering the installation of a downpipe and exhaust system on both models, it is argued that the 650i model produces a more appealing sound than the M6 model. It is worth noting that my personal experience driving the M6 model, equipped with a catless downpipe and straight piped exhaust, did not convey a distinct V8 engine sound and the overall noise level of the vehicle remained relatively low.
If any individual who has had or used both vehicles could kindly provide some insights. We would much appreciate any information that you can provide.

ndeed!

I transitioned from owning a 2018 650i GranCoupe (AWD) in Carbon Black to acquiring a 2019 M6 Gran Coupe in San Marino Blue.

In my recollection, I have not engaged in the act of supplying engine oil beyond the scope of routine maintenance for my M6 during the last 30,000 km. Conversely, I have consistently found it necessary to replenish the oil levels in the 650 every 5,000 to 7,000 kilometres.

2) The comfort level of the 650 is expected to be satisfactory. However, it is worth noting that the use of runflat tyres on the 650, as opposed to Michelin PSS tyres, resulted in a comparatively smoother ride experience with the M6. It is rather surprising, however amusing, to see this difference. Nevertheless, it should be noted that adjusting the suspension setting to sport plus mode might potentially alter the aforementioned ride quality.

The observed gas mileage of the M6 is comparatively superior for unspecified reasons.

The M Perf Titanium exhaust installed on my M6 vehicle emits a high level of noise, particularly during cold starts, which may be somewhat overwhelming, especially in enclosed spaces like as garages or underground parking lots.

I found both options to be really appealing; but, the M6 surpasses in terms of aesthetic appeal and perceived engine dependability.

I refrain from operating the vehicle at high intensity until the engines have reached optimal operating temperature. Additionally, I use a cautious driving approach on my return journey, allowing the vehicle to cool down gradually before turning it off. Furthermore, I maintain a reserve of two bottles of oil in the trunk for unforeseen circumstances. As of now, there have been no reported complications. It is advisable to proceed with caution and do the 55-point inspection, which is offered at a reduced cost by the dealership, during the next service period.

Additionally, it is worth noting that the implementation of M-Tax has resulted in an increase in prices across various goods and services.

In conclusion, if the primary consideration is not the acquisition of the 650 model for its all-wheel drive capability, it would be advisable to go for the M6 variant.

Thank you for providing valuable information. Your suggestion regarding the acquisition of an M6, which offers fuel efficiency and enhanced comfort, has prompted me to consider this option. I appreciate your advice on warming up the engine before engaging in high-performance driving. However, I would like to inquire whether it is necessary to allow the engine to idle for a period of time before shutting off the vehicle, similar to the practise of using an old-school turbo timer. I have come acr

In my perspective, the 650i may be characterised as a leisurely grand touring vehicle or a coupe designed for personal luxury. However, it fails to exhibit a heightened level of responsiveness or enable the driver to fully engage with the vehicle's capabilities, as it tends to operate within a limited performance range of around 70% of its potential. I have operated many vehicles and in my observation, they effectively conceal their power output of 300kw or 330kw in a quite impressive manner.

In my own evaluation, I have a general aversion towards Audis. However, I find that the C7 S6, which has comparable power and somewhat reduced torque, exhibits a superior powertrain in my perspective, mostly attributable to the use of a dual-clutch gearbox (DCT). Naturally, the inside of the Audi is subpar and its handling capabilities are severely lacking, resulting in a suboptimal ride quality. However, it should be noted that my personal preference leans away from Audis.

Although the M6 is not often seen as a lightweight track vehicle, the many suspension modifications and incorporation of the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) contribute to its potential for exhilarating performance and enjoyment during spirited driving. Furthermore, it is worth noting that the M6 retains hydraulic steering, a feature that I feel significantly impacts its performance.

Based on the literature I have seen, the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) is often regarded as a very dependable system, with the exception of potential clutch wear that may occur in cases where the DCT has been modified. However, it is worth noting that replacing the clutch pack is a relatively straightforward procedure and is likely to be more cost-effective compared to a complete replacement of the ZF8 transmission.

The M6's exhaust manifold configuration prevents it from producing the typical V8 sound. However, as FinalRenegade has said, the vehicle nonetheless emits a sufficiently loud noise. Moreover, the distinctive arrangement of the exhaust system imbues the car with a sense of uniqueness, since its sound distinguishes it from other vehicles in the market.

I would refrain from acquiring an M6 with such a mileage. I would also consider purchasing a vehicle if fuel efficiency is a concern. In my opinion, it is advantageous to own a second car. A significant number of individuals engage in this activity on a daily basis, however I would advise against it if possible. Regarding performance, it may be inferred that it is much inferior to that of an M6.

I have personally driven my vehicle from a mileage of 4,000 miles to 75,000 miles, which has resulted in a certain level of emotional attachment. Consequently, until I am financially capable of acquiring an 812, I am inclined to maintain my current vehicle, so acknowledging a potential bias in my perspective. However, it is important to acknowledge that if the available budget only permits the purchase of a high mileage high performance vehicle, it may not be the most optimal choice unless one has the ability to conduct their own mechanical repairs.

In this assertion, it may be argued that the high-priced components that produce a loud sound will exhibit similarities in both a 650i and an M6. In terms of performance, efficiency, and aftermarket support, it may be argued that a 640i with a tune offers advantages over a 650i. The former variant is likely to exhibit superior acceleration, reduced weight, and improved fuel economy. Additionally, the 640i benefits from a more extensive network of aftermarket resources, which further enhances its appeal as a viable alternative to the 650i.

I own other vehicles at my disposal for contingency purposes, and I myself do all maintenance and repairs on my automobiles. Based on the responses received in the aforementioned discussion, it seems that acquiring an M6 would be the most suitable course of action. Furthermore, I am interested in determining if the 640i model exhibits greater reliability compared to its V8 counterparts. There is a prevalent belief among many individuals that the N55 motor exhibits sluggish performance when installed in the 6 series chassis. In light of this, I am curious as to whether a 640i, just via the implementation of a tune, can surpass the speed of a 650i. Alternatively, would other modifications such as a downpipe exhaust and other enhancements be necessary to achieve this outcome?

I would want to express my gratitude for the aforementioned responses. The provided information has proven to be really beneficial.

If the need for all-wheel drive is not a factor, I would readily choose the M6 without any hesitation. I own a 650 Gran Coupe vehicle that has undergone many modifications, with other enhancements planned for the future. However, it is important to note that my vehicle is not an M6 model and will not be converted into one. It is anticipated that one may experience regret upon making the decision to acquire the 6, since it is not a vehicle often seen in circulation. Moreover, the M6 variant is deemed to possess an even higher level of exclusivity, in my humble opinion.

Indeed, I have made the decision to get the M6. In comparing vehicles of the same mileage and year, there exists a price differential of around $10,000 to $15,000 between the 650 and M6 models. It is my contention that this disparity in price does not constitute a significant difference, hence suggesting that the M6 model offers a justifiable value proposition.

The transition from an E90 328xi to an F06 650xi represented a significant improvement, as shown from the upgraded model. I really enjoyed operating the 650 vehicle, and in comparison to my previous experience, it had a formidable presence. However, the vehicle was unfortunately destroyed due to flash floods around six months later, and I subsequently acquired a replacement in the form of an F06 M6.

The M6 provides a really enjoyable experience. The engine seems to have a propensity for demanding more power regardless of the current velocity. A statement from a review of the Alpina XB7 that I encountered seems to also apply to the M6: "The performance of an ALPINA engine possesses an elusive elegance, reminiscent of the forceful characteristics of cream in motion." The object under consideration has qualities that are aesthetically pleasing.

In addition to the engine, several noteworthy aspects can be observed. Firstly, the styling exhibits a more assertive demeanour. Furthermore, the wider rims contribute to an enhanced rear profile, which I find particularly appealing. The Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) provides an immensely pleasurable experience, characterised by swift and, if desired, vigorous gear shifts. Additionally, the installation of an aftermarket exhaust system allows for the manipulation of valve openings, resulting in

Wishing you the best of success with your buying endeavour! One is likely to have a strong affinity for it.

I appreciate the additional information provided about the comparative analysis of the two models. Regarding the cluster in question, I am curious as to why the M6 model never included a fully digital 6WB-style cluster. Many people speculate that this omission is due to the inclusion of a Head-Up Display (HUD). However, it is worth noting that the 650i model does possess a 6WB cluster with the HUD. This leads me to believe that BMW intentionally aimed to maintain a more traditional and timeless aesthetic for the M6, as you previously said.
I want to get a catless downpipe and an aftermarket exhaust system. I am particularly fond of the auditory experience produced by the Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), as it exhibits remarkable swiftness, resulting in minimal fluctuations in engine revolutions per minute (RPM).