The 2.0 318d 61 plate sometimes belches forth blue smoke. I'm about to snap.

Alex1978

Hi All,

I can't take it any more.
Over two years ago, I purchased a BMW 318 from a dealer. It began belching out blue smoke and guzzling oil. When this occurs, its strength is diminished as well. The situation is obviously undesirable.
Since I wasn't able to return it, it sat for a time while I looked into buying a used turbo.
I installed the turbo, and it continues to operate normally. The engine compartment was ablaze with smoke and guzzling oil.
It's not always doing this, but it happens often enough that driving the vehicle is dangerously unpredictable.
I am completely at a loss as to where to look next.

My technician thinks it may be the oil seals, but changing them would require removing and dismantling the whole engine, which would be time-consuming and costly.
Before I go out and spend a ton of money, is there anything else it may be? So much money has been invested in it that selling it for scrap seems like a waste.

Any assistance is much appreciated.

Thanks.

To my ears, it's coming from the direction of the driver.
We assumed the turbo was broken, so the technician removed it and reported it was caked with oil. This might have built up over time, however.
I lack any aptitude for mechanics.
As soon as I get home, I'm going to inspect the intake system. Regarding the PCV, I would be completely clueless.

My license plate indicates it's for an E90 318d, and Autodoc identifies it as a 2.0 Diesel 143HP/105kW N47 D20 C.

Car goo broom broom, I have no mechanical aptitude.
others say the PCV is a filter, others say it's a jiggling metal valve piece at the end of a hose, and some say it's in a box at the rear of the engine. I have no idea what I'm looking for. Haha, I really have no idea.

Yes, here is the latest information.
The PCV valve was located, and a replacement has been requested. I also saw that a bottle cap had been taped over the intake and that the breather hose had been disconnected from it. Could this be what sparked such a huge fire? I figured it was the same issue with the turbo since the smoke looked quite similar to what I had seen previously.
When I questioned my technician why he had bypassed the PCV prior to installing a catch can, he said that the old turbo had been doused in gasoline.

The replacement PCV valve I bought should arrive by midweek, so I've reattached the pipe and removed the bottle cap in preparation. Given how much time I'll be spending stationary, I also purchased a replacement battery. Only keeps power for a day.

Please accept my apologies for the delay. Unfortunately, I did not get the PCV cover with diaphragm and spring that I had bought. I upgraded to the new one today... I turned it on, and white smoke immediately began to billow out of every opening. I let it sit for a while and discovered the white smoke was coming from the exhaust (and a little quantity beneath the vehicle, not the engine room); I cranked the engine, and the amount increased dramatically.

How about some other suggestions?