The brand-new Tig Elegance 1.5 2WD DSG

dave783

After a 17-month wait, it's finally here.
Okay, I'm new to this vehicle and have only driven 400 miles.
These are my first thoughts after three days of ownership.

We connect and all that jaz - alright - simple to join up, but why? Apart from satnav updates, is this done automatically?

Android phone - I need to connect mine with a wire (Android 10) to access applications (satnav and music)...ok I think since bluetooth may consume energy on extended rides, however I believe a new phone with Android 11 or above will operate with bluetooth? Oh, and I need bluetooth on to use my phone and data on to use We Connect....all of this is a hassle since my is generally turned off....exactly what I like.

Car SatNav - I haven't used it with We Connect yet, but previous to activating We Connect, the one thing I didn't like was the route in white....it was too similar to regular roads. Oh, and the speed limit is not shown. The Google Maps path is highlighted in red. I need to play a little longer before making a decision.

For my music, I miss my SD card reader. This features two USB C ports, which are a little difficult to access, and there are no plans to connect in USB in case it gets trapped and causes harm. It would have been good if there had been one in the armrest storage container. At the present, I haven't figured out if I can read SD cards hooked through USB C and use satnav on my phone via another USB C connector. At the present, I agree that I must utilise one or the other but not both.

Cruise.
I wish it was simply cruising, however.... I enjoy how the car slows down to the vehicle in front when there is a wide gap.
I despise how the vehicle stops when someone cuts in front of me....though this does not always result in the car braking....I'm thinking...if the vehicle that cuts in is going faster than me, why should I brake? Not sure yet...more testing is required.
I appreciate how the cruise reduces to the speed limit of the road works....how does it know?
Why does the automobile slow down to some imaginary speed limit?

I'm not a fan of keyless entry, therefore I lock the vehicle by pressing the handle sensor.....According to what I've read, Vagcom can deactivate this.

I appreciate the virtual dash and everything it informs you...it's pretty excellent. The only annoyance is having the satnav in the middle while I'm not using it. Okay, additional possibilities for the middle, but none that I actually use...I wish there was an option to display MPG and miles to empty here. Okay, I chose one of the screen settings that allows mpg and miles to empty within clocks...it works for me!

My old golf MK6 match ticked all the requirements except satnav.
The new Golf was not for me...no separate heating controls...everything through tablet screen, which I despised...I'm a dinosaur.

So, for me, the Tiguan checks more boxes than the Golf 8.

I like the back camera...wish I'd chosen area view as well.

I have a space saving spare wheel.....I've been caught with a cracked sidewall due to road debris once before.

Unfortunately, there is no SD card reader, and those two USB-C ports are indeed difficult to access. You can use a micro-SD card that is compatible with a USB-C adapter to play your music files, but adapters are notorious for not retaining the last track played and starting from track 1 each time the engine is restarted. Currently, I am experimenting with various USB sticks/FAT32/exFAT, etc., as my infotainment music files only occasionally recollect since the last Nav update.

As for speed limits, some will be in the database, but I believe the camera will detect road construction signs. However, I rarely use cruise control, so it doesn't slow me down and simply displays a warning that I've exceeded the speed limit on the dashboard. I'm not astonished by "phantom" speed limits, as the posted speed limit on my road is 30 mph, yet I'm constantly reprimanded for exceeding 20 mph, and once it thought I should be travelling at 5 mph!

Thankfully, I do not have a keyless entry system.

I have a standard dashboard and can readily view mpg, remaining miles, rudimentary navigation, audio options, etc.

The heater controls are not to my preference, as I prefer knobs and gauges, but I believe that the Golf 8's non-illuminated sliders have deterred many potential purchasers.

Yes, space-saver for me - like insurance, you pray you never have to use it, but you never know......

As a helpful hint, I recommend keeping a pair of (very) short USB extension cables on hand to prevent having to stretch too far when plugging in your phone, flash drive, or other device. This also reduces the amount of stress placed on the socket.

Thanks for the responses.
I'm still plugging in the short USB-C leads the dealer supplied me.
I can play music on my phone over Bluetooth, but I can't control the music on my VW head unit. Using my head unit, I can place and receive calls.

So, for my phone, either Bluetooth or not having access to applications via the head unit is an option; nevertheless, I can use the phone to play music and the head unit to make calls.

or

Connect your phone using Android Auto to access applications, sat nav, music, and other content.

Accepting that I just plug it in.

continuing to learn!

When I first got my Tiguan, I was a little nervous, but now I have very few problems with it.

Wireless Apple car play has worked perfectly and is a great way to dictate and read SMS and WhatsApp texts on the go.

I prefer the built-in VW satnav to Apple Maps or Google Maps because the live traffic is shown in bright colours that are easy to see while driving. When a route is being navigated, the route is white, but it has blue borders on each side of the road, so it's easy to follow. However, I'm not sure if the blue border has anything to do with the colour I'm using for ambient lighting, which is blue, since the out-of-the-box colour on my car was white. I could be wrong, but it's possible if you're only seeing white route markings. The only thing that bothers me about the built-in satnav is that sometimes it starts right away when I press the start button, but most of the time I have to wait. I don't know why it starts right away sometimes and not others, no matter how long the car has been off. Another problem is that it doesn't keep the last zoom level that was used.

At first, I missed the good old SD card that I had in my KIA and previous Golf 7, but I haven't had any problems with the USB-C connections. In fact, I use both ports with one memory stick for regular pop music and one for classical music because my wife prefers pop music, and it's easy to switch between the two. No matter how long it's been since I drove the car, the stick has never moved. They were put up four months ago and haven't been touched since. They are in odd places, but I only have to do it once.

I think ACC is like Marmite: some people love it and some people hate it. It was my biggest worry before I bought this car, but after playing with it for a few weeks, I've come to love it. It's not perfect by any means, and I don't use it as much as I should because it seems to have a lot of wrong speed limits around towns. That, and it puts on the brakes in a 50 mph zone when it sees a 10 mph limit sign in a hotel parking lot just off to the side that I just drove by. The good news is that they don't happen very often, and I know where they will happen because they happen every time I drive by these places. This isn't helpful on roads I don't know, though. For me, it really shines when I'm stuck in city traffic or behind a slow coach and can't pass. I just press the RES button and let whatever is in front of me do all the driving and looking out for danger. I can relax a little, put my feet up on the dash, get a glass of brandy, light a cigar, and get forty winks. No, folks, it's not, but it's less stressful than slamming on the gas and stops while waiting for a place to pass that never seems to come. BTW, stopping your car when someone cuts you off is called the "safe braking distance" and should be practised even in a car without ACC.

I have never had a problem with my keyless entry, but I do turn it off every night before I go to bed to avoid the small chance that someone could use a relay attack to steal my car.

Now, based on what I've said here, you might think that this is my dream car. It's almost perfect, but I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the touch controls on the steering wheel and climate control unit. It's the one thing I and a lot of other people don't like about the car. I've gotten used to it, and it works pretty well for me, but I still prefer real keys. Oh, I just saw that you have an Elegance. The steering wheel rule doesn't apply to you, but I think the CC rule still does.

Just now, WiseSage said:

When I first got my Tiguan, I was a little nervous, but now I have very few problems with it.

Wireless Apple car play has worked perfectly and is a great way to dictate and read SMS and WhatsApp texts on the go.

I prefer the built-in VW satnav to Apple Maps or Google Maps because the live traffic is shown in bright colours that are easy to see while driving. When a route is being navigated, the route is white, but it has blue borders on each side of the road, so it's easy to follow. However, I'm not sure if the blue border has anything to do with the colour I'm using for ambient lighting, which is blue, since the out-of-the-box colour on my car was white. I could be wrong, but it's possible if you're only seeing white route markings. The only thing that bothers me about the built-in satnav is that sometimes it starts right away when I press the start button, but most of the time I have to wait. I don't know why it starts right away sometimes and not others, no matter how long the car has been off. Another problem is that it doesn't keep the last zoom level that was used.

At first, I missed the good old SD card that I had in my KIA and previous Golf 7, but I haven't had any problems with the USB-C connections. In fact, I use both ports with one memory stick for regular pop music and one for classical music because my wife prefers pop music, and it's easy to switch between the two. No matter how long it's been since I drove the car, the stick has never moved. They were put up four months ago and haven't been touched since. They are in odd places, but I only have to do it once.

I think ACC is like Marmite: some people love it and some people hate it. It was my biggest worry before I bought this car, but after playing with it for a few weeks, I've come to love it. It's not perfect by any means, and I don't use it as much as I should because it seems to have a lot of wrong speed limits around towns. That, and it puts on the brakes in a 50 mph zone when it sees a 10 mph limit sign in a hotel parking lot just off to the side that I just drove by. The good news is that they don't happen very often, and I know where they will happen because they happen every time I drive by these places. This isn't helpful on roads I don't know, though. For me, it really shines when I'm stuck in city traffic or behind a slow coach and can't pass. I just press the RES button and let whatever is in front of me do all the driving and looking out for danger. I can relax a little, put my feet up on the dash, get a glass of brandy, light a cigar, and get forty winks. No, folks, it's not, but it's less stressful than slamming on the gas and stops while waiting for a place to pass that never seems to come. BTW, stopping your car when someone cuts you off is called the "safe braking distance" and should be practised even in a car without ACC.

I have never had a problem with my keyless entry, but I do turn it off every night before I go to bed to avoid the small chance that someone could use a relay attack to steal my car.

Now, based on what I've said here, you might think that this is my dream car. It's almost perfect, but I'm surprised you haven't mentioned the touch controls on the steering wheel and climate control unit. It's the one thing I and a lot of other people don't like about the car. I've gotten used to it, and it works pretty well for me, but I still prefer real keys. Oh, I just saw that you have an Elegance. The steering wheel rule doesn't apply to you, but I think the CC rule still does.

The R-Line's steering wheel was a factor in my decision to go with Elegance. Much more content with physical keys. I've set the temperature to my liking, activated Auto, Sync, and A/C, and haven't touched it since.

It was nice to read the responses, and I believe I'll acquire one of those USB devices from eBay.
CSK51's article was interesting; thank you. I suppose I'll learn to embrace ACC and the fine notion of not being able to overtake in traffic.
My driving wheel has yes and no buttons.....I heard about people's distaste of steering wheel touch buttons and was anticipating them, but I also read elsewhere that VW had reverted them to buttons....so I just prayed mine had buttons, which it did. Does this imply that models lower than Elegance have touch buttons?

I looked at a new Golf back in September 21, but the one I test drove had no CC buttons, touch or not...everything was done via the screen, which I despised. I have numerous Golfs and liked them...but the screen controls were a deal breaker for me. It just so happened that a buddy received a Tig Elegance and I accepted touch CC. Now that I have one, it works well for me. Yes, I would like genuine buttons, but this isn't a deal breaker as the Golf was.

So, I'm still learning.
The only thing that irritates me is receiving emails every time I use the vehicle. "Volkswagen AG: Services were deactivated in your Tiguan" email, followed by a list of what was deactivated. What is this all about and is it essential - should I be concerned - is anything wrong? - I presume not, but it's a hassle - should I label this as spam and have it automatically deleted, or should I simply put it in a place I seldom read.....or can I stop receiving them....do I need them?

I believe Big Brother has gone insane! The only reason I joined We Connect was for satnav updates and live information. I can't think of any other explanation right now - I'm still searching.

What does the Synchronising light on the CC mean? I'm assuming the vehicle is updating itself. Is this just when the ignition is turned on?

The hue of the road markers on the built-in sat nav varies on the route you choose. For instance, what are the other colours for besides "blue" and "green"? Shortest person is brown? It's been so long since I last used it that I've forgotten how. Not able to take it. There are too many horror stories of surprise tours gone awry, and although I like Apple Maps and its real-time traffic reports, I have to say, "one man's meat...."

5 minutes ago, TechWhiz said:

The R-Line's steering wheel was a factor in my decision to go with Elegance. Much more content with physical keys. I've set the temperature to my liking, activated Auto, Sync, and A/C, and haven't touched it since.

Sync makes sure that the temperature in all three climate zones is the same. If you change the driver's side, the passenger side will also change to match.

The renowned online auction house now has some available products.

USB Drives (16 GB) Car USB2.0 Mini Flash Disc Pendrive Auto SUV Waterproof USB Drives UK.

Mini USB Flash Drive Version 2.0 Memory Stick Pendrive USB Stick Memory Stick Pendrive 64GB 32GB 16GB 8GB 2GB