As a new Mercedes owner, I have a few queries that need answers.

Greetings, everybody.

I have acquired possession of a 2010 CLC 220 CDi. The odometer shows a mileage of 70,000. The car was previously owned by my mother-in-law, who has had it since 2013. She has consistently taken it to Mercedes for annual servicing.

Now that we have addressed that, I have a few first inquiries. It is important mentioning that there are no engine lights or problems being shown. I have not yet linked it to get any potential error codes that may not be currently shown.

1. One issue is that sometimes when driving, the power might abruptly go off and the engine stops running. The duration may be sufficiently brief to prevent the engine from stalling, allowing the automobile to resume acceleration smoothly. On one occasion, the vehicle had a sudden loss of power, requiring me to quickly shift to park, switch off the engine, and then restart it. This was particularly challenging as I was waiting at a traffic signal, with only approximately 5 seconds before the light turned green. Do you have any opinions or ideas?

2. It is possible that there is a connection, however when you activate the ignition shortly before starting the engine, the glowplug indicator illuminates and then turns off after a few seconds, allowing you to start the engine as usual. Occasionally, the glowplug lights reappear, but then extinguish after around 30 seconds. Do you have any opinions or ideas?

3. The rear trunk door I believe that the vehicle need replacement boot struts, since they are unable to raise the rear lid alone. Is that correct? I am fully capable of doing the task without difficulty.

4. After rainfall, when you raise the boot, water trickles down from the edge into the boot region, causing it to get moist. It seems like there is a rubber gasket and several rubber grommets missing from the inside boot lid. However, without a reference vehicle, I cannot confirm this. If I capture an image of the inside of the boot lid, would it be possible for someone to do a comparison with their own and provide me with feedback?

5. This last observation might be attributed to my lack of familiarity with Mercedes vehicles, but I find the power steering to be rather burdensome. Reminiscent of the weightiness of my last PT Cruiser from a few years back. It is much more weighty compared to both my VW T-Roc and my previous KIA Niro. Does the steering seem burdensome on these vehicles?

6. Lastly, the headlights. The stock ones are of poor quality. The colour of the automobile is lacklustre and has a yellowish hue, which is in stark contrast to the vibrant colours of contemporary vehicles. Do you have any recommendations for alternative options that may be used to replace certain components of the headlight assembly without having to replace the complete unit?

Thank you very much

Based on the symptoms described, it seems that there may be an issue with the ignition system. I would recommend inquiring about the replacement history of the glowplugs. If they have not been changed, it would be advisable to have them replaced anyway.
Yes, it is possible for you to replace them yourself. Make sure to verify whether you need to remove any lining. At this stage of life, every plastic object you come into contact with is highly prone to cracking.
4. I lack a clc, hence I am unable to provide commentary.
5. Inspect the steering pump; it is quite probable that it need replacement.
6. I am unable to provide a remark, but I suggest using Google to get the information you are looking for. 🙂

Had a conversation with an automotive technician.

1. Evidently, this is mostly caused by the automobile often making short trips and accumulating some soot. He will introduce a quantity of tec 4 cleaner into the car's system and initiate a DPF regeneration process to see the subsequent outcome.
2. He expressed doubt on the need of replacing the plugs on a vehicle with 70k miles, but he agreed to inspect them.
3. Purchasing a quantity and substituting them. Accomplished the task in different vehicles. Thank you for the advice on the plastic components. I shall exhibit a considerate and delicate approach.
4. I will be vigilant for another CLC 220 and attempt to inspect it. I am considering visiting the scrapyard to inquire about the availability of the desired item.
5. It is evident that Mercedes cars are much heavier when it comes to their steering. He reassured that there is no need for concern. However, he is still investigating the replacement of the light.

The automobile was somewhat covered with soot. Installed several technical upgrades and performed a regeneration on the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF). It seems much improved at now. He said that the plugs are in satisfactory condition and advised against replacing them until it becomes necessary. He will inspect the upcoming maintenance. I neglected to attend to the boot struts. I applied a thorough cleaning and a coat of lithium spray, which has shown to be beneficial. Presumably, they only need a thorough cleaning. I am uncertain if there are any gaskets or grommets missing along the edge of the boot. The power steering system was inspected at the previous month's service and is in good condition. They are just weighty. My headlights are still inadequate and need replacement.

1. It seems that you have a control unit that is shutting down. There will be no involvement with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF).
2. Replace each glow plug individually. It is advisable to do so since leaving them in for too long might cause them to seize.

3. Install new struts. The impact of the tailboard falling down will result in a significant bruise on your skull. They are very inexpensive to do.
4. Require a photograph.
5. If the weight is very high, it may be due to a seized steering joint.

1. I conducted more research on this topic. The mechanic has encountered this occurrence once. During its 10-year stay in its former location, the automobile was situated in a remote and rural area. At some time, it had a problem with rodents, resulting in the chewing of certain wires. The car's engine compartment and wiring have been treated with an antivermin spray, thereby preventing further occurrences. Additionally, the damaged wires have been replaced. However, it is quite probable that there is an exposed wire that is making contact with the ground and causing a momentary electrical malfunction. Therefore, I need to open the hood and carefully follow the path of the wires to identify the issue. It is possible that a wire that was partly chewed was overlooked, or that a wire has been damaged by rubbing against something and requires a protective covering. When I spoke to an auto electrical shop, they said that without doing a comprehensive examination, they couldn't provide a definitive answer. However, based on the description of the issue, it seems to be indicative of a short circuit. It has not occurred in the last 6 weeks, which is a positive sign. Perhaps the wire that was causing the problem was inadvertently repositioned during the servicing, resulting in the elimination of the short circuit. Without a comprehensive examination, it is impossible to make a definitive statement, but it is feasible.

2. Regarding the glow plugs. I will defer the task to the mechanic. A collection of electrical plugs is not costly.

3. The struts are in satisfactory condition.

4. Please refer to the picture provided. There are three holes positioned along the bottom border of the boot lid and three holes on the inside edge. When I raise the boot after it has rained, water seems to fall inside the boot. Do these openings serve as drainage holes? Are grommet plugs intended to be included in them? Is it necessary for the boot to have a rubber gasket running down its edge? All the images I come across of a boot lid just depict its outside. The remaining substance is soil, not corrosion.

The model is a C203.

The drain holes are designed to allow water to flow out, thus it is expected for water to drip from them. The tailgates have a tendency to allow water to enter. Typically, the source of the issue is the 3rd brake light.

Thank you.

Thank you for providing the update on the W number. It is challenging to conduct searches when one lacks knowledge about the specific item they are seeking. After doing thorough research on W numbers and your information on it being a C203, I discovered the following:

https://www.carnoisseur.com/blog/mercedes-model-numbers

It seems that Mercedes did not adhere to their sequential numbering system for its W models. It might be perplexing when you are attempting to locate compatible components and are unable to choose them based on the registration number.

I have consistently observed that the steering of my partner's C180K (which is the earlier version of the CLC) is burdensome. However, when she switched to an SLK280, I saw that the steering felt same. Subsequently, I have driven a few more Mercedes-Benz vehicles and it seems that they all exhibit the same characteristic.

To improve the lighting, replace the bulbs with Osram Nightbreakers. I use the Nightbreaker Ultimate 200 lights, which provide a discernible superiority compared to conventional halogen lighting.

Have you considered the possibility of merging the numbers 1, 2, and 3? While acknowledging the possibility of my error, I would recommend verifying the battery level or inspecting the battery clamps.
Is there a possibility of power delivery issues where it is needed?
When you activate the engine, the starting motor consumes a significant amount of battery power. There is a possibility that the ECU may experience a loss of 12 volts and then initiate a rapid restart of the engine starting cycle. This might explain why the glow plugs light turns back on.

Similarly, in the case of a boot problem, I would attempt to open and shut it while the engine is in operation. That will determine if the issue is mechanical or electrical in nature.

Furthermore, any problems experienced while driving might possibly be attributed to a loss of battery power.

There are several potential pitfalls. I hope that you have a warranty.

The battery is in good condition. I am uncertain about the connection between the boot struts and the battery, given the former are purely mechanical components. I own a Topdon Artilink 500B device that I want to establish a connection with in order to identify any recorded faults. If any mistakes are found, I will proceed to eliminate them. Subsequently, I will assess the remaining issues.

The next two tasks on my agenda are fixing the lights and addressing a little abrasion on the side wall of the front tyre.

I suppose that my CLC is a c203. Has anybody responded about the replacement of the headlight? I want instructions on how to replace one of my possessions. Although I have seen many YouTube demonstrations, I am in need of a detailed, sequential tutorial. If a non-existent one is not present, I will be compelled to create one.