springs for a 2017 335D xdrive

Darrellll

Greetings,

It is quite certain that this matter has been extensively discussed in several instances. However, because to my advanced age and limited tolerance, I must express my dissatisfaction with the excessively supple and unwieldy ride experienced in my 335d xdrive saloon. What are the available alternatives for spring upgrades? I would want a reduction in the boat-like characteristics of the automobile, since that is the one drawback I have identified.

I would want to express my gratitude in advance.

In July of this year, I installed Eibach springs on my 2017 335d in response to concerns regarding both the vehicle's handling and the excessive distance between the wheel and the wheel arch. It became apparent rather swiftly that the original shock absorbers were in a state of disrepair, as they produced disruptive and jarring noises during operation. The sensation was akin to the shock absorbers potentially penetrating the upper turret. Upon prompt examination, it was expeditiously discerned that the shock absorbers were undergoing total compression and, in essence, reaching the point of maximum compression. I have just installed Bilstein B8 shock absorbers, which are appropriately aligned with the height of the lowering springs. The current suspension configuration has a high level of rigidity, perhaps above the optimal threshold. The car, however, has exceptional handling akin to being on rails, which consistently elicits a sense of delight throughout driving. In summary, it is essential to not only replace the springs but also to replace the shocks. If I were to assume your role, I would choose to purchase a coilover kit for the vehicle, given that I have incurred an expenditure of about £1200 on separate occasions for the replacement of shock absorbers and springs. Currently, there are advantageous online offers available for coilover kits. In July, my vehicle had accumulated a mileage of 60,000 miles when the Springs were installed. Subsequently, in early December, when the B8's were fitted, the mileage had increased to 64,000 miles. If the coilover option is not preferred, an alternative approach would include replacing the springs with Eibachs and installing new Bilstein 'regular' replacement shock absorbers, namely the B4 or B6 models. These shock absorbers are known to provide a more comfortable ride compared to the B8 models.

I made the decision to proceed with the action of driving the automobile to Birds Autos. The B3 sports suspension kit was installed on their vehicle. The vehicle's handling characteristics have been improved, providing an exceptional driving experience. Although it may not be a cost-effective option, it is undeniably valuable and justifies its price.

It is remarkable to note that a vehicle with considerable capability and power is equipped with a subpar suspension system as originally provided by the manufacturer. The vehicles are equipped with a standard power output of 313 brake horsepower (BHP) and a torque of 470 pounds (lbs), along with a four-wheel drive (4WD) system. My vehicle now boasts a power output of 400 brake horsepower (BHP) and 570 pounds of torque (LBS), which may be considered comparable to that of a typical F80 M3 in terms of power.
Throughout my own experience, I have had three M3 vehicles, all of which have consistently exhibited exceptional handling capabilities. In general, BMW tends to allocate its superior handling packages mostly to their line of vehicles known as "M Cars." The 335d X model exemplifies this particular characteristic, thereby prompting inquiry into the rationale behind the suboptimal selection of springs and shock absorbers.

Undoubtedly, the £2,000 investment made in this automobile has shown to be very worthwhile. It is quite likely that the vehicle's performance will now exhibit a remarkable sense of stability and precision, akin to the sensation of being securely guided down a set path. I am always finding justifications to engage in a leisurely drive in my vehicle. It is regrettable that BMW did not equip the vehicle with adequate suspension initially.

Another potential alteration that should be taken into consideration is the upgrading of your current brake discs and pads. It is likely that the vehicle under consideration is equipped with the "Big Blue" brake callipers, which are accompanied by front discs measuring 370mm in diameter and rear discs measuring 345mm in diameter. One may get upgraded, drilled, and grooved brake discs at a reasonable cost from reputable manufacturers such as MTEC Brakes. The 'Brembo Extra' pads have been identified as the most superior option in my research. A complete set of front and rear items may be found on eBay for an approximate price of £300. The use of drilled/grooved uprated discs in conjunction with Brembo Xtra pads is undeniably remarkable.

I agree with your viewpoint in its whole. The standard suspension on these vehicles is rather unsatisfactory. I was not fully aware of the extent of its inadequacy until I had the update implemented. The next item on my agenda is to update the braking system. Thank you for providing guidance on this matter.