The quote for striking the obstruction is £9000.

clk320x4

Hello there, I'm new here, so I'm not sure where to write this, so please excuse me if it's irrelevant.

I was driving around a roundabout last night when I struck the curb with my driver's side tyre. I was probably travelling 15 to 20 miles per hour. I noticed an instant change in the steering. Then a 'wheel alignment alert showed up' on the dashboard. The only visible damage from the exterior was a scrape on the metal.

Anyway, long story short, I drove it to BMW, and a few hours later they called to tell me that the repairs they'd have to do would cost a whooping £9000! As you could expect, my jaw dropped out my ***.

Track rods, upper/lower arms, steering knuckle, hub & bearing, shock absorber spring, steering rack, and a new wheel were all noted as components that needed to be replaced. I mean, all from slamming into a curb????

Obviously, they are not lying, yet I am taken aback.

Last July, I paid £27,000 for this automobile. I phoned my insurance company, and they indicated they'd pay it, but now they're stating they could go the 'total loss' way.

Do you think I should challenge this?

It's a 69 plate, series 3 m sport, just so you know.

I think you should let the insurance company send it to one of the places they suggest and see what they say. The bmw dealer might be giving you a quote for more work than it actually needs. Definitely need a second opinion, even if you go to a bmw expert instead of the place your insurance company suggests.

What a bunch of jerks.

There are two possibilities here.

1) The BMW salesman is a jerk (standard form).

2) You had been driving well over 15-20 when you struck it.

If the impact against the wheel was significant enough to merit a steering rack replacement, it would have been enough to knock the damage or move the subframe (although they haven't classified a new frame as one of the items that has to be replaced). Bring it down to the ordinary Joe's garage, tell them it's not driving properly, and have them look at it on the ramp.

You've made the one mistake you shouldn't make with a BMW dealer: you've been honest and could have seen you coming a mile away.

At that speed, I'm going to guess you've slightly (and I mean slightly) bent the drivers side track rod.
Less is more. 

I'm including a few images here.

The body was undamaged, and the tyre was in its proper location.

As can be seen in the image, the rod tyre had been deformed. He suggested I go to BMW since they would have the component in stock, but once I got there, they examined it and gave me a quotation for £9000.

1 minute ago, Darrellll said:

I'm including a few images here.

The body was undamaged, and the tyre was in its proper location.

As can be seen in the image, the rod tyre had been deformed. He suggested I go to BMW since they would have the component in stock, but once I got there, they examined it and gave me a quotation for £9000.

Bring your automobile to a regular garage and have them inspect it and repair the tie rods.

£9000 is half a year's gross income for half of these twats that repeat these ridiculous figures.

BMW dealers should form their own political party since they already speak as much nonsense as them.

It's a worst-case scenario quote.
Before assessing broken components, no one can predict real-life repair prices.
The steering rack suffered a big shock if the force bent the track rod end that much. This might affect vehicle safety.
Using the manufacturer's measurements on a jig, subframe body alignment may be confirmed.
A reputable, independent, insurance-approved repairer can estimate damage more accurately.
The usual "Is this an insurance job mate" inquiry will likely be asked, with everything overestimated.
This often raises insurance rates.