Repair for the 2010-2011 E350 W212 OM642!

MrGreedy

Greetings, everyone.
I own a total mileage of 93,000 kilometers on my Mercedes-Benz E350 vehicle, which is equipped with the OM642 engine.
The vehicle may need a B-service maintenance, which might potentially address the issue. However, during a recent instance of rapid acceleration, the emission of black smoke was seen from the rear of the vehicle.
Is it possible that the reason of this issue is just a need for an oil and filters repair, or should I do a more thorough investigation and consider replacing the PCV unit and pipe?
Are there any further items that I should verify or examine?
The engine seems to be functioning well, exhibiting no irregularities in its performance. However, there is a little occurrence of engine shaking during the first stages of operation, which gradually diminishes as the engine reaches its optimal operating temperature.

What is the suggested interval for replacing the cam belt? In my opinion, the cost for these items is $100,000.
However, engaging in the task at an earlier stage may not be an unfavorable notion.

I am planning to undergo a Terraclean procedure, since I have previously seen positive outcomes from this treatment on other diesel vehicles.

I would really appreciate any information that you can provide.

Please do an investigation to identify the presence of a boost leak. Intercooler hose often experiences fragmentation.

The mechanism used in this system utilizes a chain rather than a belt. Formally, there is no designated time period for modification. However, if your engine predates 2010, it is possible to visually inspect the tensioner via the oil filler hole and determine whether the chain has seen elongation. For more evidence, I have shared images on a forum. The accuracy of timing may vary to a certain extent, however, it remains uncertain if this discrepancy would be the underlying cause of the observed smoking problem.

I have had the automobile for a duration of one week, commencing from the previous Friday. Based on the current timeline, it can be inferred that the vehicle in question had been in the possession of the dealer for a certain period of time before the commencement of the second week.
The observation has been made on several occasions.
I engage in a hybrid work arrangement, spending 2-3 days per week in the office. Currently, my commuting distance is limited to around 20-30 miles per week, since I commute to and from the train station.
The power of the vehicle remains unaffected, as it continues to operate smoothly, but with intermittent emissions of black smoke from the exhaust. I fail to comprehend the causal relationship between an intercooler pipe and the observed phenomenon.
It is more probable that there would be a decrease in power.

It is recommended to replace timing chains and tensioners due to their limited lifespan, often ranging from 100,000 to 150,000 miles.
It is always advisable to exercise prudence and complete tasks in advance.

The exclusive presence of the black smoke.
The vehicle is in need of a B Service. The replacement of air and fuel filters is necessary. The use of new oil may perhaps provide assistance.

It is quite probable that your vehicle will be equipped with a diesel particulate filter (DPF). It may be advisable to verify the current state of the subject in question, since there is a possibility that it may have been altered or eliminated.
If the service is performed by a specialized technician at an MB (Mercedes-Benz) service center, they will possess the necessary expertise to effectively identify and resolve the problem.

The occurrence of black smoke during vigorous acceleration in a pre-DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) diesel engine is considered to be a typical phenomenon. The intensity of black smoke emissions tends to increase in direct proportion to the extent of the vehicle's operation in urban areas at low engine speeds, gradually dissipating over time. It is plausible that the diesel particulate filter (DPF) has been removed. From my perspective, I would refrain from allocating resources, both in terms of time and money, towards the investigation of a potential issue that is likely non-existent.
Performing an oil and filter change is generally considered beneficial; nevertheless, it is unlikely to have any impact on the issue of black smoke emission.
It is advisable to refrain from making any adjustments or interventions until there is noticeable rattling in the timing chain. A well maintained OM642 engine, which includes regular oil and filter changes using the appropriate oil, has the potential to exceed a mileage of 200,000 miles without requiring a replacement of the original chain.
It is advisable to allocate a somewhat more budget in order to get the vehicle serviced at a reputable independent Mercedes-Benz service provider. Alternatively, one may get their tools and proceed to do maintenance on the goods, since they are not difficult to operate on.

The presence of sooty exhaust tips indicates the absence of a diesel particulate filter (DPF). The occurrence of black smoke might be anticipated. The occurrence of a split intercooler pipe or turbo pipe may result in the emission of significant quantities of black smoke, accompanied by an audible whistling sound like that of wind. Typically, the activation of limp mode would ensue shortly afterwards.

The presence of black smoke emitted by the vehicle might perhaps be attributed to the use of an Italian tune up technique, possibly as a result of the vehicle not having undergone this procedure under its prior ownership. It is quite probable that after the current cleaning process, the occurrence of the aforementioned event may not recur in the future. The occurrence of engine shaking is considered undesirable and should be avoided. I have seen three instances involving the OM642 engine, and none of them have shown any instances of engine shaking. One potential approach to address the issue at hand is to consider the use of fuel additives such as cetane booster, redex, forte, and dipetane, in conjunction with the implementation of new filters throughout the system. Is it possible that the light plugs may need replacement?

A. The presence of black smoke is likely attributed to a factor that cannot be resolved with a routine service, although it is possible that a problem may be identified during the servicing process. As previously mentioned by others, it is plausible that this situation may be considered within the realm of normalcy. It is essential to ensure that the vehicle is brought to a specialized Mercedes-Benz technician who has the necessary diagnostic tool, known as STAR, in order to conduct a comprehensive examination for any fault codes.

It is important to note that individuals possess a legal entitlement to refuse acceptance of an automobile in the event of a significant malfunction arising during the first 30-day period. It is advisable to promptly seek professional attention for the purpose of examining the matter at hand, as there is a possibility of an underlying significant concern.