2010 F01 740i windscreen wash efficacy inadequate

Motoman

Hi all,

Acquired a brand-new 2010 F01 740i. During my demonstration drive, the windscreen washers worked properly. However, a few days later, their performance drastically deteriorated, and they now only drip pitifully at the bottom of the windscreen. There is no warning for insufficient fluid, and the headlight and NIVI washers function flawlessly. How should I begin to diagnose the problem, please? Thank you very much!

Take the washer pump out of the bottle of washer and look at the filter cloth. I'm willing to bet that it is covered in black slime. If that's the case, wash the cotton and try to clean the cleaner bottle. I used a jet washer through the filler to get as much as possible out of mine.

With my wife's Hyundai Getz, we recently experienced the same (don't laugh). Ultimately, it turned out to be the washer jets on the bonnet, so I got two new ones, switched them out, and now they look like fire hydrants!

Older ones were incapable of cleaning since they were coated and bunged up with black sludge, as Johnny claims.

Flow was an issue with my F11. In the same way that a rodent would defecate on my windscreen. The water was leaking when you attempted the washers because the end cover of the tube system servicing the jets had broken off. A bung from a neighbor's toolbox fit snugly. I'd say it's as fast as a police horse now.

I appreciate your responses.

I have thoroughly examined the nozzles and used a pin to ensure that they are spotless. They appear tidy. The left nozzle appears to be lacking a hose, but when the washers are tested, nothing emerges from the hose barb. The left nozzle on my F11, which is up for sale, has the same barb without a hose. I am aware that it functions, so it must be as intended. The F01's rightmost orifice, the one closest to the container, emits a feeble projectile, whereas the other two emit nothing but weak dribbles.

The left and right injectors appear to have disengaged from the hood at the rear (facing the windscreen), but this has no effect on the vehicle's performance. The middle nozzle is almost detached, but that is not my concern. 

100% pure in the bottle.
Compressed air will help, but only temporarily since the filter gauze will clear off, but the debris is still in the bottle and will be sucked back onto the filter.
The only long-term option is to remove the bottle and clean it.
I removed the pumps and level sensor from mine and inserted a pressure washer nozzle to blow it all away.

I poured clear water from a dirty bottle. Can't you dismantle the bottle to clean it? Algae on the headlight & NIVI washer pump filter was simply removed.

I removed the windscreen washer pump, blew through the inlet/outlet ends, and it worked. I rejoined the pump's wires, set the input nozzle in a bowl of water, and operated it. It spat a large jet of water, so it works. A wet vac sucked the hose. My air compressor sprayed air through the hose. I reconnected the pump to the hose, placed the inlet in a bowl of water, and operated the pump. Same problem. The hose or nozzles seem obstructed. Should I diagnose or replace the hose?

Fill the washer bottle with water and add a couple of Milton tablets (the stuff you use to clean baby bottles). This stuff breaks down all sorts of things and is safe for plastic and rubber.

Every time I fix the car, I put one tablet in. It doesn't hurt paint and kills the germs that cause the sludge in the first place.

11 minutes ago, Motoman said:

Hi all,

Acquired a brand-new 2010 F01 740i. During my demonstration drive, the windscreen washers worked properly. However, a few days later, their performance drastically deteriorated, and they now only drip pitifully at the bottom of the windscreen. There is no warning for insufficient fluid, and the headlight and NIVI washers function flawlessly. How should I begin to diagnose the problem, please? Thank you very much!

The nozzles are where the blockage will be, making washer jets the simplest and most cost-effective option. The hoses should be good since they are a direct line to the nozzles. Take the hose away from the nozzle's rear and test the water flow.

Just now, BEERMAN said:

The nozzles are where the blockage will be, making washer jets the simplest and most cost-effective option. The hoses should be good since they are a direct line to the nozzles. Take the hose away from the nozzle's rear and test the water flow.

I appreciate this. I'll check this out for sure.

However, it looks that the nozzles are all in one component and not accessible individually, based on realoem and other parts websites.

Second, I've purchased a new pump strainer because one was already required. But according to ISTA, lubrication is required to cover the gaskets, and when removing the bottle and related components, I did feel some lubrication. Is this a silicone lubricant? What sort of lubrication is this?

Thank you!