Sanitising interior buttons with delicate surfaces

Greetings, everyone.

After doing internet research and consulting several sources, including forums, I was unable to find a satisfactory answer to this specific concern. Therefore, I have decided to seek assistance from experts.

I just purchased a 2011 C220, which is generally in good condition, but there are some minor imperfections in some sections of the inside. I have purchased vacuum cleaner micro components and small valet brushes for narrow crevices. However, there is persistent dirt in some areas near the switchgear, particularly on the steering wheel.

I would appreciate any advice on how to protect the sensitive electronics in my beloved new automobile from any damage when cleaning, since I am concerned about causing any harm.

Allow me to outline my proposed approach: apply a little amount of kitchen degreaser spray to persistent stains (without using too much), allow it to sit for a while, then remove it by wiping with a clean, damp cloth. To clean non-electronic components, vigorously scrub them with brushes and hot soapy water. Afterwards, gently pat them somewhat dry using a separate clean towel. I have previously cleaned the inside of my vehicles, but this is the first automobile I own that is equipped with steering wheel controls and a wide range of intelligent functions.

Please inform me if I am making any mistakes.

I feel that baby wipes are really effective for cleaning a wide range of objects, therefore they are definitely worth trying.

I would refrain from immediately applying any substances onto the buttons. However, it is quite likely that used car sellers would use more forceful methods while cleaning vehicles compared to individual owners.

I also support the use of baby wipes. To enhance performance, refrain from engaging with those who are easily affected or sensitive.

After cleaning the problematic region, there may be a residual residue left behind. Therefore, it is advisable to have a microfiber cloth and a cleanser suitable for the surface at hand in order to complete the cleaning process.

For instance, use non-sensitive baby wipes to clean the leather steering wheel, centre console, and door handles/cards. Observe with shock the dirt that is removed, and conclude by using a microfiber cloth with Dr Leather or another interior 'leather' cleaning solution.
Conclude the process of cleaning interior plastics by using a plastic cleaner of your choice. In my opinion, a very diluted all-purpose cleaner is suitable for this task.

I was previously unaware of the existence of this peculiar substance, like silly putty and gummi, until I engaged in some contractual employment inside the vehicle manufacturing sector. Even Lidl had it in their inventory a few months ago.

Alas! I have just been aware that I have once again made a post in the 'Detailing' forum.

image.png.f2ef2e25b1fc3c06fcd152ad10e3b14c.png

Mercedes buttons on the steering wheel, as well as certain switches and buttons on the dashboard, are sensitive to strong cleaning agents. One consequence of using harsh cleaners is that the buttons become sticky due to the deterioration of the surface layer. To effectively eliminate the stickiness while preserving the button labels, I have discovered that using Goo Gone with cotton buds in small, frequent applications is the most suitable method.

Purchase Chemical Guys Nonsense All-Purpose Cleaner (APC) or Inner Clean, both very effective for cleaning car interiors, along with cotton buds and a few microfiber cloths. Unless you excessively apply spray over switches, it will be difficult for you to do any damage.

Inner Clean is equipped with UV protection, making it suitable for use on dashboards and similar surfaces.

On Youtube, you can often see individuals vigorously cleaning and brushing the innards of objects with APC (All-Purpose Cleaner). Although I myself would not go to such lengths, this practice appears to be rather prevalent, so I believe you will not do any damage, OP. 🙂

Thank you for the advice, I ultimately choose to use a solution of somewhat diluted fairy juice in warm water, along with delicate scrubbing utilising detailed brushes. Next, use a microfiber cloth to remove any remaining residue, then immerse it again in plain warm water. Significantly improved!

Now let's address the little blemish on the driver's seat! I will not use the ineffective Astonish fabric cleaner that I purchased some time ago.