Should the software be updated or not?

BEERMAN

I will be taking my 2014 C Class vehicle to Mercedes-Benz for a scheduled passenger airbag recall service later this month. There are instances when automobile owners, across different platforms, strongly advise against having a software upgrade performed on their vehicles at Mercedes-Benz dealerships. What is the rationale behind this request? What are the potential drawbacks associated with updating software? I am inquiring as to whether it would be OK for me to communicate my lack of desire for the aforementioned item.

In the event that the vehicle in question is equipped with a diesel engine, it is plausible that Mercedes-Benz (MB) may undertake an electronic control unit (ECU) upgrade to ensure compliance with the exhaust pollution standards specified for that particular model. This action is reminiscent of the well publicized "dieselgate" scandal. It is worth noting that such an update has the potential to marginally affect the vehicle's performance and/or fuel efficiency. However, the extent to which one might see this phenomenon in practical settings remains uncertain.

Many individuals on this platform, as well as on the opposing side, have expressed their observations on the impact of the emissions update on fuel usage, noting a discernible negative effect. If that is the proposed upgrade, kindly decline the offer.

It is quite probable that it is influenced by the Dieselgate scandal. Given my use of the taxi service, it is reasonable to infer that the impact of this situation will likely be more pronounced on my own circumstances. I want to diplomatically request that they refrain from doing so in the event that they propose its need.
I was previously unaware that the modification had a direct impact on the engine's functioning. I had mistakenly believed that it just affected the dashboard display, providing accurate information about the actual fuel usage.

I appreciate the guidance provided.

According to certain individuals, following the implementation of the "Dieselgate" update, the 7-gear transmission exhibited a behavior where it failed to engage the highest gear at the designated speed limit on UK motorways (70mph). Instead, it remained in 6th gear and only transitioned to 7th gear at approximately 80mph. This occurrence partially accounts for the observed decrease in fuel efficiency, particularly if this pattern persists across the entire range of engine revolutions. It is plausible that the vehicle's gear shifting strategy involves higher engine revolutions in order to maintain optimal operating temperature.

Several members also expressed dissatisfaction over the failure of NOx sensors subsequent to the update. It was observed that certain dealers provided complimentary replacements for the faulty sensors, while others did not. It is worth noting that the replacement of these sensors may be rather expensive, and availability may also pose a challenge.

Do the alterations in fuel use represent actual changes or are they only perceived changes?

Are the differences seen during assessments of gasoline use between top-ups properly determined when logged against miles during similar travels in comparable conditions? Alternatively, may they be regarded as cognitive records pertaining to the varying levels of fuel consumption shown by the onboard system on various occasions?

I am inquiring about the aforementioned matter due to the observation of notable fluctuations in the reported fuel usage of my vehicle on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis. Moreover, this observation pertains to a conventional gasoline-powered vehicle that has not undergone any software modifications.

The above remark also prompts me to question if the update modifies the algorithm used to provide miles per gallon (mpg) on the different automobile displays. I have often seen a notable disparity in the information conveyed by several markers.

The 2019 V220 saw a decrease in fuel efficiency, namely from 38 mpg to 34 mpg on extended trips, subsequent to a software upgrade. In the local vicinity, the observed levels are comparatively reduced. In order for the cruise control to engage the 9th gear, the speed must be set at a minimum of 70.

The emission under consideration is nitrogen oxides (NOx), which has been extensively discussed before. It has been repeatedly emphasized that reducing NOx and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions concurrently is not feasible.
Fundamentally, the update reinstates the vehicle's emissions output to a level that complies with the standards necessary for its sale. However, this adjustment would likely be undesirable to the consumer due to the resulting decrease in miles per gallon (mpg).
There are two perspectives to consider. The vehicles were marketed with exaggerated fuel efficiency ratings in comparison to their legally attainable performance, necessitating the need for recalibration. Alternatively, it might be argued that the emissions levels were inaccurately portrayed by fraudulent manipulation of the testing and homologation procedures. Consequently, the vehicles in question should not have been made available for sale, and had the deceptive practices not taken place, they would not have been eligible for sale.
The United Kingdom has shown a lenient approach towards producers, so shifting the burden of repercussions onto the consumers.