Should I purchase a used vehicle that is older or one that has accumulated greater mileage?

ML350_Colin

Greetings to everybody, I hope that you are all in good health. I am a newcomer to this platform and I am eager to gain insights and knowledge from people that possess a wealth of wisdom and experience in this particular field, since I myself lack substantial expertise in this area. I am now looking to purchase a Vito crew van and have come across one that meets most of my requirements, however it has accumulated a significant amount of miles. The vehicle is registered with a '14' licence plate and has accumulated a mileage of 280,000. Given the constraints of my budget, I would be compelled to choose between a vehicle of this kind or an older model with perhaps reduced mileage. I am aware that some individuals claim that Vitos tend to be long-winded, and personally, I would not be using it for extensive travel. I am curious to know people's opinions on whether older vehicles or newer vehicles with high mileage are considered superior. Any further general comments or observations would be very welcomed, given my knowledge with Vitos or motors in general is limited.
I am now in the process of obtaining insurance quotes and have encountered some alarming outcomes. Therefore, I would really appreciate any advice pertaining to this matter.
Thank you in advance

Hello, how may I assist you?

It is necessary to evaluate the vehicle's condition, taking into account whether it has been well maintained and mostly used on the highway. If these conditions are met, it has the potential to be a decent vehicle.

An acquaintance purchased a sprinter van with an exceptionally high mileage. This vehicle was formerly used for transporting a small number of goods between London and Edinburgh. Remarkably, the van performed almost as well as a brand-new one.

Thank you for your response. Considering my little expertise, I am contemplating the idea of having it examined prior to purchasing, in the hopes that it may aid in making a choice. Furthermore, if anybody has any recommendations about a reliable inspection service provider, it would be much appreciated (since the cost of AA's services is rather high, perhaps resulting in the rejection of the car). I express my gratitude one again.

During the time when I was experiencing issues with my adblue system, there happened to be a 0m651 van there with a mileage of 450,000 miles. The motor remained unopened and emitted a satisfactory sound. I feel that the identical motor in the United States is likewise capable of achieving high mileage.

I am familiar with both Vito's and Viano's.
As the mileage grows, the level of care needed for maintenance also increases.
Their construction quality is worse compared to vehicles such as the E class and even the C class, which might result in the occurrence of rattling noises.

One of the reasons why I still have a 639 is because these forums are helpful when I need assistance.
Otherwise, I would consider opting for an alternative brand, such as F, F, For, or any other suitable option.

I would not anticipate the MB emblem to signify any indication of quality on these cars, particularly in recent times.

Thank you. Similar to you, I have many motivations for desiring a Vito, however I am willing to consider other brands as well. I am now evaluating the advantages and disadvantages and actively seeking and considering various recommendations. Thank you for providing yours!

As Darrellll suggests, it is important to examine the situation and past events. I would steer clear of a low mileage vehicle that has been subjected to many stop-start operations and harsh treatment by a courier. That is detrimental to the engine. Conversely, driving long distances on the motorway does not do any damage.

When it comes buying autos, it is always advisable to examine the service history. Timely completion of oil changes is crucial. Could you provide information on the MOT history? A well-maintained vehicle is expected to have fewer recommendations and failures recorded. Please examine this:

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Wishing you success!

Thank you for the guidance, I will make an effort to gather as much information as I can. I have previously completed the DVLA MOT verification...I have not seen any conspicuous indicators of concern based on my assessment. However, I want to pay the six pounds for the AA car inspection beforehand, prior to interrogating the seller during my visit tomorrow. I am grateful for your effort in providing a response. Cheers

If the vendor is the proprietor, evaluate your opinion of him. Should the vendor be a dealer, it is advisable to be sceptical of any statements made by them. Similar to politicians, one may discern whether automobile salespeople are being untruthful by observing their verbal communication.

Truly, trust your instinct. If it seems intuitively correct, it is likely so. However, if you have any lingering uncertainties, it is advisable to just disengage from the situation.

To be honest, considering the mileage, if the vehicle is functioning well, there are no warning lights on the dashboard, it has had a relatively recent MOT, and a reasonably decent service history, then that is the most you can hope for when buying a used car. As previously stated, an increase in mileage directly corresponds to an increase in maintenance requirements.

Undoubtedly, there will be elements that need evasive action.

Purchase the car, since the owner's identity is mostly inconsequential. Whether it is a dealer or a doctor, the primary focus should always be on acquiring the vehicle.

I have seen some quite disappointing vehicles on the forecourts of MB agencies, as well as some highly unscrupulous individuals attempting to sell a car of excellent quality.

An elderly woman I was acquainted with severely damaged her automobile and collided with various objects, all the while neglecting to have the car maintained due to her seldom usage of it, under the misguided belief that its newness would ensure its proper functioning.

If you are able to "obtain it on a ramp," it would be much more advantageous, particularly if they are familiar with it.