Sleek SL350 (2013) Wind Chill

Howard_silver

Greetings, everyone.

I am now experiencing an unusual issue pertaining to the top of my 2013 SL350 vehicle. The first observation was the presence of a wind noise emanating from the upper region above the windscreen. Upon further examination, it was seen that under bright conditions, the roof panel exhibited a noticeable convex curvature in its central region. Upon closer examination, it becomes evident that the roof panel exhibits significant flexibility and lacks any discernible attachment to a supporting framework. Consequently, during periods of thermal expansion, the panel arches upwards, resulting in the formation of a gap that allows wind to pass through, so generating audible noise, particularly on days characterised by elevated temperatures. Typically, the issue of opening the roof on hot days does not arise; nevertheless, occasional hindrances may occur when the trunk is fully occupied, hence impeding the opening of the roof.

The observed phenomenon entails the depiction of the seal located between the upper roof panel and the frame positioned above the windscreen. Upon careful observation, one may see that there is a noticeable curvature in the central region, indicative of high temperatures. When the roof is partially opened, the whole top panel exhibits significant flexibility along the frontal region. The observed object lacks any apparent attachment, hence when subjected to high temperatures, it undergoes expansion without any restraining force. There is an indication that the bonding of the latch and related components is expected to occur on the visible frame across the front.

Does the aforementioned statement possess any logical coherence?

image.png.2e6e5b6c72aa93407f2b1756ca1a448a.png

Thank you for your assistance anyway. Upon doing an experiment, I have observed that exerting significant pressure on the edges of the object elicits an audible response, indicating an attempt to re-adhere. However, this reattachment is short-lived, suggesting a decline in the adhesive's stickiness, most likely attributable to the deterioration of the double-sided tape. I will communicate with my local professional in order to ascertain if they possess any information about the existence of a repair bulletin for the issue at hand in relation to the company known as Merc. Alternatively, it is plausible that Mercedes-Benz has included a mechanism allowing for the detachment and reattachment of the panel. Hopefully, he will be able to resolve the issue. I will provide an update after I have resolved the issue.

It is posited that some roof panels of the 2012 SLK model were subject to a problematic condition. In 2013, a transition was made to use a glass panel instead. The faulty components were replaced with glass, and there are discussions about this matter on either this site or the SLK forum. It is uncertain if the same actions were taken with the SL.

I would like to provide an update about the issue pertaining to the detachment of the convertible top panel from the frame on my SL350 vehicle.

I sought advice from the dealer, who proposed a single resolution involving the replacement of a roof component at a cost over £3,000. Additionally, I engaged in discussions with a few experts in the field of Mercedes convertibles. One of them expressed willingness to undertake the task of disassembling and reattaching the roof, as they had encountered a similar issue with SLK models from the same time period. The projected cost ranges from £600 to £1000. An alternative location proposed that a windscreen replacement firm may be able to re-bond it.

This prompted me to engage in more contemplation; nevertheless, I had difficulty in locating a corporation willing to do such a task. Therefore...

Upon careful examination of its construction, I took the decision to attempt the creation of a similar item on my own. The seal located just under the front portion of the roof exhibits a gap of about 3mm from the frame. To address this issue, I procured a tube of black CT1, a silicone glue that I had previously used in construction endeavours. I proceeded to compress the end of the applicator tube, rendering it flat. Subsequently, I exerted pressure to position it above the rubber seal, in the space between the seal and the frame, and compressed it as much as possible during the process of elevating the upper roof panel. Upon completion of the aforementioned task, I observed an audible frictional interaction occurring between the frame, seal, and roof panel while exerting downward and upward pressure on the roof panel. It is worth noting that within about 15 minutes of partial roof opening, the roof automatically shuts without any external intervention, accompanied by an auditory warning signal.

Subsequent to the first cleaning process, measures were taken to maintain the aesthetic appeal of the structure. Specifically, many substantial weights were placed on the roof for a duration of several days. After a deliberate period of exposure to sunlight lasting many weeks, I am cautiously optimistic to report that the desired outcome has been achieved. After a duration of many months, I have used the aforementioned product and have found it to be satisfactory in its performance. Undoubtedly, the absence of wind noise and the elimination of roof panel deformation during solar exposure are evident.

The overall cost of the product is £9.99, which brings about a sense of happiness.