Could you provide information on the cost of engine replacement, please?

dave783

Greetings, everyone,
The timing chain of my 318d has had a failure after 112,000 miles. Given the circumstances, it is more logical to replace the engine as a whole rather than only addressing the issue with the timing chain.
Do you have any estimations on the amount of labor required for this task?

Thank you for your contribution.

Another individual and I successfully replaced the engine in my BMW e90, completing the task in around six hours. Our understanding was limited; nonetheless, it is possible that a more experienced shop might do the task more efficiently. Examine the labor rates over a duration of around six hours.

Furthermore, in the case of my M47, it was not necessary to separate the AC lines or power steering cables. Consequently, I incurred expenses just for the purchase of fresh oil and coolant.

I am contemplating whether it would be prudent for me to do the task alone, although with some assistance, or whether such an endeavor would be ill-advised.
I have engaged in casual experimentation with automobiles, but I lack substantial prior knowledge in the installation of automotive components.
Does anybody have knowledge on the necessary equipment for this task? Is it possible to use an engine hoist or employ a jack to elevate the vehicle and thereafter drop the engine from beneath?

What is the age of the automobile in question?
If the vehicle's identification number is N47, I would personally choose for repairing it. However, regardless of the decision made, it is necessary to remove the engine. In the case of the N47 engine, it is seen that the rockers are designed to be sacrificial. Consequently, in the majority of instances, resolving the issue requires the installation of a new chain kit together with the replacement of certain rockers. On rare occasions, it is possible for the cam carrier to develop cracks, as I have seen in a single instance.
Regarding the removal of the engine, it involves use a hoist to lift it from the top, with the most challenging aspect being accessing the upper bell housing bolts. I am able to complete the installation of an e90 engine within an estimated time frame of one and a half hours, while working independently on my own driveway.

The most straightforward approach is removing the engine from the top, a task that necessitates the use of an engine hoist. As Johnnyroper has said, the most challenging aspect lies in accessing the two top bell housing bolts. I have disassembled my object using a Torx 14 wrench from the upper portion, while the other components were detached from the underneath of the vehicle.

Caution should be used in regard to a single tiny bolt located towards the upper region, as it serves to secure the bell housing shield. Failure to properly remove this bolt may result in inadvertent damage to the shield.

Additionally, it is necessary to remove the bonnet.

Additionally, it is essential to remember the inclusion of the braided ground wire connecting the starter to the chassis, since failure to do so may result in adverse consequences.

The bonnet may be retained on the engine throughout the removal process on the E90 model by using a hoist. This can be achieved by first raising the hoist to its maximum height while the bonnet remains in its regular position. Subsequently, the hoist can be slightly retracted and further elevated until the bonnet is freed. In this scenario, the individual disengages the struts on the side of the vehicle and proceeds to open the hood closer to the windshield. It is worth noting that the hinges are specifically engineered to allow for a wider opening range than what is often seen during regular operation.

It is vital to ensure the placement of an axle stand underneath the gearbox prior to removing the engine, or alternatively, the use of a jack.
Additionally, the steering universal joint (UJ) restricts the engine's range of motion, which might be a problem during reinstallation. To address this, I recommend use a hoist to support the weight of the engine and then removing the engine mount bracket to provide some flexibility.

Could you please provide an update on your progress with regards to the malfunction of your vehicle's engine? I am interested in knowing whether you have made any headway in resolving the issue, as I am now contemplating the extraction of my own engine within the next week or so. Additionally, I have just acquired an engine hoist from an online marketplace platform. I have just acquired an engine from an acquaintance, and I am contemplating the prospect of inspecting the internal components of my own engine to assess its condition. Subsequently, I am inclined to engage in the process of attempting to repair and restore it.