Reviews of the ZF 8HP50 (I've never had a manual transmission vehicle!)

VWDaveBMW

I've never bought an automatic since I've been told they're terrible and manuals are less expensive.

Because I am growing older, my left knee is a little arthritic, and I am driving a lot more these days, I am hoping to indulge in a little self-pampering.

In addition, the ZF-8 is said to be a fantastic device that can outperform the manual shifting skills of the vast majority of individuals.

I believe the automatic transmission in the F20-118d I want to purchase is a ZF-8 8HP50. A brand new 2018 version.

In the low-powered 118d, how is the driving experience with that gearbox?
Is there a problem with dependability or cost?

Since purchasing my first automatic box some years ago, I've been a convert. I, too, have arthritis pain in my left knee and was a heavy driver at the time. I just purchased a 2012 E92 320d (with the older ZF6) and I am really pleased with it.
The 440i F32 I drove featured the fantastic ZF8 transmission.

The manual vs. automatic discussion is completely different now that we have better mapping and gearbox design. Vehicle models are often more rapid, silky, and frugal.

In most cases, automatics, even those with 5 gears, are preferable than manuals. By having seven and eight gears, automatic transmissions are better suited to vehicles with less powerful engines. Due to the ample engine torque of their day, early US "muscle cars" could get by with just two gears.

There is a lot of confusion about auto box maintenance. Some experts recommend changing the oil and filter at certain mileage intervals (50, 75, or 100k), while others urge to wait until the vehicle shows indications of sluggishness before making any adjustments.
My mechanic claimed he didn't see any need to change the oil and filter on my 320d ZF6 till it hit 82k miles. The vehicle was in excellent condition when I sold it at 88,000 miles.

Carbon and other friction particles from the friction bands would leak out into the oil, polluting it, and therefore ZF, in a technical notice, suggested at least one adjustment when the issue was discovered. The oil in the torque converter must be changed at least twice to guarantee a proper renewal percentage since it is not always possible to drain it directly (no drain plug). Maybe they figured out the fundamental issue and fixed it in newer gearboxes. Changing the oil and filter won't hurt anything, except maybe your money, as long as you use the right stuff.

When I had my 535d serviced at 102,000 miles, the mechanic only changed the fluid and filter pan after I had driven the car for 500 miles.
It seems obvious to me that the filter in a vehicle has to be replaced whenever there is a need to change the fluid in the automobile.

Tapatalk Message from my SM-G990B

The adage "Auto fluids don't need to be changed, ever, except sometimes..." was common knowledge in my household in the '90s, so yeah, I knew that.
Do you know whether such vehicles often come with a dipstick, or if it's necessary to measure how much was drained and then replace it with the exact same amount?
- This isn't your uncle's Honda, therefore I'd recommend having an expert handle it.

You should disregard what others have said regarding automatics in the past tense.
Transmissions on newer BMWs (from the ZF6 on) are fantastic; they change gears quickly and smoothly, and they automatically choose the best gear for the conditions.
Most people have given up on public transportation and switched to cars long ago.

Kits, tools, and replacement components for 8HP45 and 8HP90 transmissions. Go4trans: Automatic Transmission Rebuilders Globally Dipstick 8HP90

Alternatively, you may use the fill-plug level while the engine is at the proper operating temperature (oil expands when heated):

How to Check ZF 8HP Transmission Fluid Without a Dipstick