Jump to content

The CX-90 PHEV, year 2024 I am seeing the "Hybrid System Malfunction" message right now.


CheresX

Recommended Posts

With 53k miles under the hood, I'm rocking a 2024 CX-90 PHEV.
I am seeing the "Hybrid System Malfunction" message right now.
Code P143B:00 was pulled by the dealer.
My dealer replaced the 48 volt battery over the course of two visits.
Swapped out the under-hood 12-volt battery at a later time.
The error message disappeared for one day after the 12-volt battery was installed, but it later reappeared.
The battery, which is about the size of a lawnmower, is located beneath the passenger floorboard.
Remember that this went on for three months, and every time I started, I had to close the error message.
In retrospect, I think the initial diagnosis was incorrect.
Is anyone else going through the same thing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Found in the foot well area of the passenger compartment is the P143B, a 12V sub battery. I will be submitting my 2024 for this code next week. If you need help diagnosing or replacing the sub battery, this video should do the trick:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The battery that Mazda charges $250 for is available for less than $40 at Walmart or Amazon, so I would replace it myself if the warranty had expired.

As an aside, the main battery of a PHEV is 355V (17.8KW), while the battery of a mild hybrid (one that is not a PHEV) is 48V. Assuming the hybrid battery was replaced under warranty, it's likely that you had multiple faults because Mazda would not have authorised the replacement without the associated testing and codes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh no! Your explanation is much appreciated. The replacement was indeed the sub battery, as confirmed by the dealer when I contacted him.
My apologies. We have now swapped out the 12 volt and the sub battery. There was no start-up error message on the day the 12-volt was replaced.
Each start the following day brings an error message. On day three, you should see an error message about every other start.
Today, after six starts, there was no error message. It seems like things are improving.
Returning next Thursday for additional diagnostic testing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...