S212 tailboard trim removal?

ByteStorm

The tailgate's light grey trim on the driver's side is another likely rattling cause. (Refer to picture below) There is some slack on this side. Is there a way to get rid of it though? I take suppose it simply keeps trucking along with some kind of retail sprockets?

Hello there; have you figured out how to get rid of this trim yet? My plan is to remove it in order to facilitate the installation of the wiring for the back dash cam (which will go through the rubber gaiter and into the headliner). I have the same assumption as you, that it is just a collection of push clips, and that it can be removed by just pulling it off, but I'm basing that intuition on my experience with my prior BMW; I'd prefer have some Mercedes expertise to lean on. 

I went ahead and completed it, and it really isn't that difficult. To begin, pull up the plastic covers on both handles with a little screwdriver so that you may remove them. If what I'm trying to say makes any sense, the section of the handle that breaks off is the one that is practically horizontal when the tailboard is open. After removing those four bolts, the plastic bottom piece may be removed. You are going to need to disconnect the light and switch connections. Unplugging the switch would be the first thing I'd do since I once hit it by mistake, which led to a whole lot of chaos. After the lower piece of plastic has been removed, the carpet portion is only secured in place by a few clips; to remove it, you must pull it downwards. The strip of plastic that covers the area where the rear wiper gubbins are located also serves as part of the same piece as the plastic piece that is located on the other side of the carpet section. The final remaining piece of plastic located adjacent to the glass comes up next. There is a certain sequence of events that you are required to go through. To begin, push inwards towards the middle of the window, which is located at the base of the vertical part. I was required to give it a thump or two. Start at the very end, just near to where the gas strut attaches to the back of the tailboard. There is one push clip located there at the bottom, as well as one located higher down closer to where it curves around to the top of the glass. After you have completed the previous step on the other side, you will see that the remaining clips are located at the top of the window. You are able to draw them towards you. It is essential that you reassemble this component in the exact same sequence as before, else you risk damaging the clips. When you take it off, you'll be able to see clearly. On mine, I discovered that the final plastic piece, which is in the form of a U and shook when moved, so I appliese.I discovered that the final plastic piece that is in the form of a U was a little loose on mine, and it rattled, so I put some thin cushioning tape (really number plate tape) where the clips slide in to take up whatever slack there may have been. It is not difficult to accomplish; however, before attempting to remove the clips at the top of the window, you must ensure that the sides of the last piece of plastic have been uncoiled first. And keep an eye on the switch for the trunk; I accidentally opened it twice. I hope that was helpful.