The trading of a 1.4 prince engine for paint work on a small deal.

few weeks a go i bought a 2011 clubman cooper d , it had a few stone chips and rear bumps scracthed and rust on roof where someone had damaged the paint with roof bars, i have couple of mates who won a paint shop and mentioned the paintwork to be offer a deal,, ie i sort one of them wife 308vti with misfire and they will make my mini paint perfect, i knew at this point the chances of worst case with the 308 ie same engine as mini and know them very well, so agreed to it, car got delivered to me on friday so had the weekend to sort it and i have, so the misfire that turned in to head off full head strip down and change some valves as some were lipped badly from wear, also found water oump leaking and pully coating cracked so do that as well , when i went to undo water pump bolts two snapped off and i had to drill them out and insert elicoils and was a proper pain to do with engine in, so i ended up putting new timing chain kit and head gasket and head bolts , the misfire they had tried to fix with fuel rail,, i smoked tested the cylinder and closed valves manifold off and found smoke escaping when should not so cleanly needed head off, I treat every car same way no matter what the deal is and do it right as dont want ill feelings if i did not, got an hour left on it on monday then its done ,, then i have a copper s n18 to refresh finally caught up need get that done for Easter holiday so all on track again,,

The smoke testing of the cylinders and valve seats revealed that the third seat was defective.

My faithful smoke machine is the most valuable £160 I have ever paid. It is essential to have one in order to work on these autos.

image.png.cfa3274deb60470d3dc63a484daef7b3.png

The exhaust valve on the left has pits on its surface, which need to be removed in order to create a seal. Failure to do so may result in misfires and emissions problems.

image.png.bd39a6c1e6d96cb330dff4084bb66a3b.png

image.png.bfeba7d767671cdd93417edec5795b0e.png

The water pump bolts that were broken off required repair. To address this issue, I proceeded to drill them out and used Eli coil inserts for threading. Additionally, I trimmed a bolt to create a stud and nut for secure attachment. In addition, I apply a layer of araldite epoxy to the Eli coil and let it to solidify overnight before to assembling the nut. I consider this method to be the most effective, as it ensures a secure connection and prevents rotation. Furthermore, I apply a 10nm coating to the nut. It is worth noting that the absence of these bolts would have hindered the timely completion of this task.

The Pug engine will reach perfection after all of those tasks have been completed. The use of WP bolts may have been a challenging experience while encountering the infamous "click" and free wheel. Currently, that is the case.

I obtained a right angle air drill and successfully drilled them, resulting in a highly unpleasant and violent task. It was previously observed that someone had affixed a thread lock to them, which was not only weak in blue but also strong in red, making it difficult to remove. I opted to soak the drill in oil instead, which eliminated the need for a thread lock. Additionally, the individual I performed this task for is a local tradesperson, so it was more prudent to take a risk and take a hit rather than not. I anticipated that the misfire would be a simple remedy, but I was aware that it would be more complex. As is often the case with these engines, misfires are often caused by a head off job. Once the work is completed, they should see the noticeable difference.

The car will be completed once it is finished. It is important to note that the car is already tidy, but I want it to be done correctly. Additionally, the car will have stripes applied, union jack rear light transfers, and limo black rear windows. There is a lady available who can handle the windows for a total cost of £130 for all rear windows. If anyone wants window tints or stripes, she can provide a service while you wait. Please mention "Mini Mike" to receive a small discount.

Today, I returned the car to him. By 6.30pm, he had driven it home and sent me a message expressing gratitude. He mentioned that the car was lovely and that it ran smoothly. He apologised for the inconvenience and mentioned that he had been using it all weekend. He mentioned that he needed a project and was looking for a broken N47 mini to fix it. He mentioned that he is almost finished with all his mini-related tasks.