Requesting information about the lighting system of a 1998 W202 model. Cluster and central dash are malfunctioning.

Matt865

Hello
The lighting of my W202 1998 instrument cluster, including the window buttons, gears, and centre dash, is not functioning.

They simultaneously departed.

All lights and fuses are in satisfactory condition.

Is it possible that the issue lies with either the Dimmer switch, which offers adjustments of 3-2-1, or the Main headlight switch?
I am sceptical that the issue lies with the lighting control relay/module, given all other components are functioning properly.

This is a photograph of the back side of my dimmer switch, which is positioned next to the main headlight switch. The dimmer switch belongs to a W202 1998 C180 AUTO model.

Is it possible that the issue lies with the Purple and pink tube/wire that is connected to the Dimmer switch?

image.png.393534f27d1efb7034f00c6b72e5233b.png

We would much appreciate any guidance or recommendations.

Indeed, I have come to the realisation that my photograph contains an error, namely, the presence of vacuum lines. However, with relation to my issue with the Illumination, I would very appreciate any advise or guidance you may have to provide.

That does not resemble the dimmer switch. It seems to be related to the adjustment of the headlight range.
I am certain that the dimmer switch on such vehicles also serves as the trip reset function on the instrument cluster.
These contacts may get soiled - try rotating it in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction many times.

Yesterday, I removed the cluster from the vehicle and discovered that there is no Potentiometer/rheostat for the +/- adjustment. I then reinstalled the cluster.

Could it be conceivable that one of the relays in the fuse box is defective? The lighting on the cluster fuse is satisfactory.

The electrical components of the W202 had a thorough overhaul during the 97-98 facelift. As previously mentioned by TED, the instrument cluster lighting rheostat, also known as the dimmer, used to be integrated into the odometer knob in the former design. However, it has now been replaced with two tiny buttons located on the left-hand side of the cluster assembly. This change is documented on page 4, item 12 of the graphic. Regrettably, this implies that it is included into the primary cluster PCB and may provide difficulties in replacing it in case of malfunction.
The link provided leads to a PDF file of the 1999 C280 owner's manual on the website "benzworld.org".

Thank you for providing this great information!
It seems that the component is really integrated into the printed circuit board (PCB).

The traditional approach for repairing the earlier Mercedes cluster lighting rheostat is not applicable in this situation. The only viable options are to either replace the cluster or get it fixed.

Can we exclude the possibility of a defective light control relay in the fuse box if the issue is limited to the malfunctioning of cluster lights, central dash lights, and gear-window switch lights? Alternatively, may it potentially be the underlying issue?

The issue is within the canbus systems, which consist of several linked control units. One such device is the ambient light sensor located in the overhead light cluster. This sensor may impact the inside lighting, but it may not have any influence on the cluster illumination. Aside from the primary fuse box, there could also be a secondary or passenger fuse box. This auxiliary fuse box, located at the end of the dashboard or behind the passenger footwell kick plate, houses fuse 42, which provides power to the cluster. If the system in question is a canbus system, obtaining a failure code readout might potentially be beneficial.

Indeed. I neglected to mention that the buttons were there on my 1997 W210 model. Dear Kameel, Have you unequivocally hit the '+' button when the ignition and lights were activated? The user's input is a single letter "i".It is rare for something to be unsuccessful.
If such is the case, conducting a trial with an inexpensive substitute cluster might be a viable option to consider.