Blistering of Lacquer

BenTrevor

I own a GLA 180 with a first registration date of 17 10 2019, which I purchased on 19 09 2020. Towards the end of last year, I saw the occurrence of lacquer bubbling on the vehicle.  Following my meeting with Mercedes-Benz Sandown Holes Bay Poole, I was informed in a straightforward manner that they had no intention of taking any action about the issue. Interestingly, the issue pertains to the colour red.  I sought guidance on potential courses of action or individuals to call, but the individual responded with a nonchalant gesture indicating a lack of responsibility.  Astonished!  The remaining parts of the automobile seem to be in pristine condition.  I would much appreciate any valuable guidance that might brighten my day!

Fire Opal Red micro-blistering is a prevalent issue.  Previously, MB provided a warranty-covered service for repainting the afflicted sections with a bare metal finish.  Numerous discussions about this topic may be found on both this forum and other online platforms.

In 2017, our 2015 C-Class coupe (C204) had the same issue and was being resolved when we made the decision to exchange it for the C-Class estate (S205) that we now own.  The S205 is painted in Designo Hyacinth Red Metallic and does not have any blisters.

Best wishes, I hope you are able to resolve the issue successfully?

I recommend that you consider exploring an other vendor.  Based on feedback from previous owners, the experience varies - some dealers will seek a warranty repair from MB UK, while others may choose not to do so.

Furthermore, what is the duration of your ownership of the car? Does it possess a complete service history from MB? Additionally, to the best of your knowledge, has it had any repainting?

I created a discussion post on the lacquer peel issue that I now have on my Carneol Red s204. Within the thread, I included a link to an exceptional document provided by a reputable German paint manufacturer and supplier. This document comprehensively illustrates various paint defect issues that one may meet, along with their underlying causes and effective remedies.  I will attempt to locate it.

After attempting to access the link, I discovered that it is no longer functional. Consequently, I have sent an email to Spieshecker Germany. I will provide an update if and when I get a response.

Upon realisation, I have discovered that I had the document in question on my computer's storage device. However, the forum does not permit the uploading of a 2611Kb .pdf file. Therefore, if someone wants to get the file, kindly send me a private message with your email address.

Ultraviolet radiation specifically affects the appearance of paint, especially red paint finishes.

Previously, Mercedes offered a paint kit specifically for fire opal red painted automobiles. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate the specific information on this kit. However, it is advisable to consult a dealer's parts department, as they should be able to assist in locating the kit.

Why would Mercedes provide a repair kit if the system was not defective.