I kindly want assistance with regard to the Vito 120 Sport X fog lights.

Rojoires

Greetings.
I have scheduled a MOT appointment for my Vito 120 Sport X on Tuesday, and as a precautionary measure, I have decided to inspect the lights beforehand. I am experiencing an issue with my fog lights.

The lower front spoiler of my van is equipped with fog lights. The near side is non-functional and the dashboard illuminates to indicate the presence of a faulty bulb. It is hypothesised that a previous issue has occurred in the lower region, as shown by the damaged trim on the inside of the wheel arch and the absence of a protective barrier for the rear portion of the lamp unit against wheel wash. Upon removing the rear cover of the light unit, it is evident that the internal components are in a disorganised state. It seems that there is a need for a new light.

I would want to inquire if it is necessary to retain functional fog lights inside the headlight modules. It is evident that there are bulbs there, however, none of them emits light. Does the installation of the Brabus front spoiler render them superfluous?

I express my gratitude for your assistance.

The inquiry about the conventional fog lights is intriguing. However, it is worth noting that front fog lights are often not subjected to testing during the MOT (Ministry of Transport) assessment. Consequently, it is reasonable to assume that there should be no issues in this regard.

Thank you for providing that information. I had previously conducted an examination to see whether they had failed the Ministry of Transportation (MOT) test, and as you have correctly said, they have not undergone testing. I am intrigued by the efforts undertaken by other van owners. I am unlikely to expend effort in replacing the faulty item. I seldom need the use of fog lights.

The vehicle successfully passed the Ministry of Transport (MOT) inspection, despite having just one operational fog light, which might be considered a positive outcome. I am curious to ascertain if the primary fog lights are intended to operate in conjunction with the spoiler lighting or whether they are deactivated when the spoiler is installed.

Greetings, fellow individuals. I acknowledge that my response comes many years after the first discussion, but I have just encountered this post when doing an online search for alternative fog lights. If you are still interested, I can provide a solution to your query.

There is a potentially inconsequential aspect about the Ministry of Transport (MOT) that warrants discussion. According to rules, if lights are installed on a vehicle, they are expected to be operational.
Although front fog lights are not mandatory, it is expected that a MOT inspector would verify their functionality if they are present on the vehicle.

The original poster (OP) expressed that the foglights inside the headlamp units were not functioning, which, according to technical standards, would often result in a failure to pass the Ministry of Transport (MOT) test due to the presence of installed but non-operational foglights.

Indeed, the affirmative response to the initial inquiry is that the original fog lights become superfluous due to the act of severing the wire at position 2, as indicated in the accompanying circuit diagram, of the plug-in connector. Subsequently, the wire is extended downwards towards the fog/spot lamps located in the spoiler. Furthermore, an additional ground wire is incorporated and affixed to the ground point situated on the inner wing. The current state of my fog lights is very unsatisfactory, as they have been somewhat damaged. Consequently, I am contemplating the option of connecting them to the fog lights included into the main headlight assembly. However, I am open to any potential concerns or issues that others may identify with this course of action. Additionally, I have included many attachments.

image.png.f34961ab2433f27824195e9e71601284.png

It is reasonable to posit that the replacement of a single bulb on either side would not provide any complications for the failure monitoring system, however the addition of an additional pair of bulbs may. The enhancements made to the Sport X, such as the installation of leather seat covers, were carried out in the United Kingdom subsequent to the vehicles' delivery. It is important to note that these vans were originally manufactured as standard 120s at the factory. There are no anticipated technical obstacles in the process of restoring the original connections. The only potential concern is to the non-operational lower foglights, which are conspicuously apparent. This issue may provide a challenge during the MOT evaluation, as previously indicated by m80.

I would like to provide a brief update about the redirection of power to the fog lights inside the headlamp unit. In order to accomplish this task, it was necessary to replace the fog lamp terminals in the plug-in connectors. This replacement included attaching a longer length of wire to provide a secure and reliable connection, since the old wire was insufficient in length. The preexisting bulbs remained installed, resulting in the acquisition of functional fog lights.

This proposition seems to be favourable. According to the MOT rule, the inspection of front fog lights is only applicable to cars that were first used on or after 1 March 2018. Therefore, the visibly inoperative front fog lights located in the front spoiler should not pose any concerns for you.

image.png.55552e1e97431eedc48fb24825b18905.png