WordSmith Posted 49 minutes ago Share Posted 49 minutes ago Most likely the final one equipped with the N14 engine. The car is using a lot of oil, around 92,000. Half of the dipstick in 150 miles. The oil has gotten into the spark plugs. All cylinders undergo compression testing at 150 psi. No oil is present in the turbo's intake or boost pipes. Victor Reinz has changed the seals on the valve stems. The intake manifold contains some oil. The PCV valve is an integral part of the rocker top, so I swapped it out. The BGA one, I must admit. Nothing else was available when I needed it. Right now, oil consumption is at an all-time high. I always stay away from BGA components because of the horror stories I've heard. Could it be that it's burning oil from somewhere else, like oil control rings? I want to make sure I get a high-quality cover. Even though it has decent compression. Let me show you my leak down tester. I need conclusive tests with instructions on how to interpret the results before I dismantle the engine. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WordSmith Posted 49 minutes ago Author Share Posted 49 minutes ago Amazon.co.uk : n14 engine Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WordSmith Posted 49 minutes ago Author Share Posted 49 minutes ago Amazon.co.uk : BGA Mini Cooper parts Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WordSmith Posted 49 minutes ago Author Share Posted 49 minutes ago SSI Valve Stem Seals Set (16pcs) for Mini Cooper R55 R56 R57 R58; Replaces | OEM 11340033950 : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cumblechook22 Posted 47 minutes ago Share Posted 47 minutes ago It is my strong suspicion that the piston rings are knackered and that the rocker cover PCV-BGA are of very poor quality. Stick to brick-and-mortar stores for all of your genuine BMW, FAI, or Febi needs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
cumblechook22 Posted 47 minutes ago Share Posted 47 minutes ago https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?search-alias=aps&field-keywords=MINI+N12B14+engine+valve+cover Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
drummer Posted 46 minutes ago Share Posted 46 minutes ago It's not uncommon for them to all go this route eventually. BMW used plastic-coated metal oil rings, which are terrible. I've seen many cars where the owners have tried stem seals, but the oil consumption remains high. I stay away from bga products these days. These days, FAI is my go-to because it's well-made and just works. It needs a refresh, though, so they can fit better solid rings onto the pistons. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WordSmith Posted 46 minutes ago Author Share Posted 46 minutes ago I am grateful. There must be a conclusive test before it is shredded. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
drummer Posted 45 minutes ago Share Posted 45 minutes ago All three engines had the same plastic oil rings and turned in the same direction. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Paqngo Posted 45 minutes ago Share Posted 45 minutes ago The enormous oil consumption and smoke after overrun persisted despite my best efforts to rule out the rings before getting them replaced. I sealed the stems, soaked the pistons twice in as many days, blocked the PCV valves individually, and even adjusted the turbo oil feed restrictor. The fact that I had leak down gear connected proved it in the end; the first cylinder we tried failed miserably at holding pressure, and you could hear the pressure gushing out. You could see oil drops on the cylinder walls with just one stroke of the borescope down there. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.