Reinstallation of CV Joint

Ortsmatt

Hello everyone,

Seeking advice from anybody. I am attempting to put a new front CV axle (C43 S205 2019). The hub end of the shaft is pre-installed since the kit was purchased second-hand with all components included. I am trying to install it and aligning the splines, but I am unable to spin the brake disc anymore, and I am having difficulty securing it in position. The strut has been removed, and the top of the hub is detached, enabling the hub and disc to travel forward freely for easy manoeuvring. I elevated the hub using two bricks to align the shaft properly and prevent it from resisting or retracting.

I have tried several methods such as wriggling, pressing, applying oil, and pounding with a rubber mallet. It seems like it's hitting a hard object? I'm gripping the innermost section of the shaft to prevent loss of force via the CV joint.

Upon examining the part I removed, it seems to have a snap ring located just before the end of the splines. I presume this snap ring engages with a component inside the gearbox when the part is completely inserted. Must they adhere to a certain order or pattern? I had seen a video demonstrating this feature on a different automobile model. It seemed that with a little force, you would hear a comforting click, and then it would be difficult to retract it. I have not had much time to test it yet, but I need to go now and will try again tomorrow. Wondering whether I should seek help to address any fundamental oversights or if I just need to apply more effort.

Thank you very much

They are not oriented in a certain direction. You are on the correct path - it is only a matter of how you exert effort to properly position the snap ring in its groove. Insert the shaft partially and then apply strong pressure. The momentum of the free play might cause it to settle. Or else. Use a rope or strap to fasten one side of the hub to the chassis and use a baton for leverage on the other side. Instead of a baton, a rope tourniquet. If you apply force using those approaches, it should fit in smoothly without needing to be hammered. If you can strike with a hammer without the force going through the CV joint, then just do so. Be persistent - sometimes they need a significant amount of force to be properly seated.

Thank you both. I am certain that the old one is still on the old shaft. However, I will inspect the hole more closely just to be thorough. I'm also curious whether the used shaft has a snap ring, since it may be hitting the bottom without anything to catch onto. Otherwise, I will persist. Thank you for the guidance.

Previously had a similar issue. After some effort and contemplation, I opted to remove the snap ring off the previous shaft, which was successful on the first or second time. The replacement one was somewhat thicker, making it difficult to fit in place.

You will be able to identify that the snap ring is causing an obstruction when the shaft is not entirely inserted and is slightly protruding, indicating that it is not in its proper position. Your current challenge is a common occurrence while readjusting a snap ring.

Thank you everyone, I resolved the issue after many further attempts. I discovered a useful suggestion online, but I cannot confirm whether it had an impact on my situation. Rotate the shaft so that the open end of the clip is positioned at 12 o’clock. In this manner, the lower side droops slightly, allowing the clip to centre itself when the shaft is inserted. If the open end is facing downwards, the clip ends might catch and potentially roll over onto the splines if enough force is applied.
After reseating it, I used a rubber mallet to give it three hits. I felt it move, then with a last push, I heard a pleasant 'click' sound, which led to some joyful expletives! Thank you everybody for your advice and recommendations. They have given me confidence that I am on the correct road. Much love.