Advice on Lowering a Celica Gen 7

alpaco45

Greetings, fellow individuals. I have been perusing many online forums in search of a pertinent discussion thread that might address my query. Regrettably, I have been unable to get a definitive response so far. As a neophyte in the realm of automobile customization, I am seeking a straightforward solution to my inquiry, which I believe should be quite simple. I am now operating a Y Registration Generation 7 190 Celica, which I hold in great regard. However, I find the ride height to be little excessive for my preferences. I have conducted research on the many strategies for reducing the height of my infant, although I am uncertain about the appropriate approach to pursue. Should I go for lowering springs or choose coilovers? If the decision is made to go for the Coilover alternative, will it be necessary to replace the existing regular shocks? As previously said, I possess little experience in this field, to say the least. Next year, I am also in the process of organising a road trip throughout Europe with a few companions. Given that we will be using our own vehicles for this endeavour, I have contemplated the advantages of equipping my car with coilovers. This modification seems to be a favourable choice, since European roads are often superior in quality compared to those in the United Kingdom. Consequently, I would have the option to lower my vehicle when necessary, so enhancing its performance and aesthetic appeal.

In summary, what is the subject matter that I am seeing, gentlemen? Is it advisable to install coilovers in conjunction with new shocks? Or springs? I am seeking a decrease in height by 35mm since I believe it will result in a visually neat appearance.

I express my gratitude in advance.

High-quality coilovers for a Gen 7 vehicle are somewhat costly, exceeding £700 in addition to the expenses associated with installation, particularly for the Meister brand. Consequently, I would suggest considering a more economical solution.The topic of discussion pertains to Apex lowering springs. These particular items possess the desired 35mm drop and are priced just over £100. However, it is recommended to get replacement drop links in anticipation of maybe needing to remove the corroded ones. It is recommended to schedule a professional laser wheel alignment a few weeks subsequent to the installation of the springs.

Thank you for your response. While perusing several options, I came across some affordable coilovers. However, I also considered the possibility that these coilovers may be prone to malfunction or failure. I am considering retaining my Celica for an extended duration, which suggests that it may serve as a prospective investment in the future. I have observed the items you referenced on the online marketplace eBay. During my search, I saw a statement that said, "Please Note: Not for cars with rear shock 2B760." From this information, I infer that the specified rear shock, identified as 2B760, is the standard component, and it may be necessary to replace it in order to use the aforementioned items. Will I be content with the original materials for the time being? I will also get drop links since they seem to be reasonably priced.

The provided link directs to an eBay listing for an Apex Lowering Spring Kit designed for a

Here is the hyperlink to the eBay auction I saw, should you like to examine the shocks I referred to.

I express my gratitude once again for your assistance.

The 190 model does not come equipped with the 2B760 rear shocks, hence there is no need to change them in order to accommodate the Apex springs. Nevertheless, in the event that your vehicle has accumulated a substantial mileage, it is likely that the shock absorbers may exhibit signs of wear and fatigue. Consequently, it may be prudent to contemplate their replacement, particularly with regard to the front shocks.

If you are new to the automobile customising scene, I have decided to provide the following information, despite the fact that Scarlett has already addressed the most of your inquiries.

Coilovers are priced at a premium, sometimes exceeding £700 for a quality set, mostly due to the inclusion of shock absorbers. Additionally, these suspension systems provide the advantage of height adjustability, with certain models also including the ability to modify damping characteristics.

D2, Tein, Meister R, and Buddyclub are widely recognised as the most popular options in their respective market segments.

The presence of inexpensive coilovers available on eBay, which mostly consist of springs accompanied by a locking ring for spring compression, poses significant safety concerns. Consequently, it is advisable to refrain from using such products, as they do not meet the criteria for authentic coilovers.

There is a selection of coilovers available at a relatively low price point of around £400. However, it remains unclear if these coilovers have been widely adopted or whether they possess satisfactory performance characteristics.

The apex springs that you have shared are widely preferred because to their favourable cost-effectiveness, ability to enhance the vehicle's stance, and maintenance of satisfactory ride quality.

For enhanced spring performance, it is advisable to choose TTE or Eibach brands. However, it should be noted that the TTE springs are priced at around £150, while the Eibach springs range from £180 to £200.

The rear shocks with the designation 2B760 mentioned in the eBay link you provided are specifically designed for models inside the United States. Therefore, they will not have any impact on your vehicle.

Lastly, as Scarlett mentioned, if your car has accumulated a higher mileage, such as 100,000 miles, it would be advisable to either replace the existing shocks with new stock ones or opt for coilovers. This is because worn shocks would not endure the additional strain of being lowered for an extended period of time, and furthermore, the installation of new springs would result in improved handling and a more noticeable enhancement in performance. The presence of aged and deteriorated shock absorbers might result in a perceptible decrease in ride quality characterised by increased instability and imprecision.

In conjunction with the aforementioned valuable guidance, it is advisable to use coilies that provide adjustable damping, beyond just ride height adjustment. The potential impact is substantial, since softer tyres are better suited for navigating poorly maintained roads, harder tyres are more suitable for track use, and moderately firm tyres are suitable for travel with an element of enjoyment.

I previously installed tein coilovers on my 190 vehicle. However, around two months later, I transitioned to a GT model and subsequently sold the coilovers. The individual who purchased them from me had a leakage issue many months later, prompting them to seek repairs. It seems that this problem of coilover leakage is a commonly reported occurrence with the tein brand.

I kindly want guidance and counsel.I have purchased a complete set of KYB Excel G front and rear suspension components.Equipped with K-flex springs.The front was installed.The individual expresses dissatisfaction with a significant level of intensity.The back components have not been installed at this time.Is it advisable to install ebatche springs on all four corners for the setup?Alternatively, may there be a little decrease in their value?Is it possible to return the rear springs? 

The Eibach Pro Kit springs are renowned for their high quality and are designed to effectively reduce the vehicle's ride height by around 30mm. I had the variable valve timing with intelligence (VVTi) system installed on my 2004 vehicle for an extended duration. I must own my lack of familiarity with K Flex.