Timing chain, 4th generation, n-47t

KissezFun

Greetings, I am in possession of a 2015 BMW 420d equipped with the N47T engine. I am curious to ascertain if this particular engine variant is equipped with the enhanced timing chain. Are there any issues that may arise with my vehicles after 90,000 miles? Should I consider replacing them or can they continue to function adequately?

It has been observed that all N47 engines, even those equipped with upgraded components, are prone to encountering difficulties over time.
The latter iterations of engines have a greater longevity in comparison to their older counterparts.
According to BMW, the timing chain is considered a lifetime component. However, it is important to note that the manufacturer's definition of "lifetime" often corresponds to a mileage of 100,000. It is generally recommended by experts to replace the timing chain kit at this mileage threshold. From my perspective, I would not exceed a mileage of 100,000 on a n47 chain.

Over the course of time, I have seen significant transformations in several aspects, particularly in instances when they have been subjected to extensive strain and to the verge of collapse, or when they have ultimately collapsed. On average, the mileage of vehicles often falls between the range of 80,000 to 140,000. However, it is worth noting that there have been instances when mileage has fallen below 80,000. It is important to consider that these cases mostly occurred in older models of vehicles and were often associated with incomplete or unreliable service histories.

I am inclined to sell the automobile, to be honest. I had already been contemplating disposing of it, so this further reinforces my inclination to do so. I have experience with doing timing belt replacements and engine swaps, but I have yet to undertake a chain replacement. I am curious to know whether the process of replacing a chain is much more challenging in comparison.

Performing these tasks is quite easy and can be done independently. I personally complete them using axle stands, and if necessary, I can remove and reinstall the engine, replace the chains, and complete the whole process within a day. However, I like to allocate two days for the procedure to ensure that the RTV on the sump and timing case has sufficient time to cure before being exposed to oil.

I would like to inform you that, after a suggestion from an individual on this site, I undertook the task of replacing the chains on my F31 N47 over the course of a weekend. I am pleased to report that I am quite satisfied with the outcome and would confidently endorse the individual for doing similar work. The vehicle operates in an exceptional manner, providing me with a sense of tranquility and assurance.