5 series f10 CarPlay

CheresX

Hi all

My 2012 5 series f10 needs Apple CarPlay installed, however after doing some research, I'm not sure whether I should leave the stock head unit and get the kit installed, or if I should switch to an android head unit from Xtrons. The head unit's drawback is that I will no longer have the factory-installed microphone and will instead use the head unit mic. I get to retain the microphone if I choose the first option. Does anybody have suggestions for the best choice? The head unit will run you £424 plus £140 for installation. The alternative choice is £700 for installation.
Thank you for your time, everyone.

Do you mean a replacement screen when you mention "xtrons head unit"? You shouldn't mess with the idrive unit, which is the car's head unit.
The new screens I installed did not come with a microphone, but instead made use of the one that came with my BMW.
Share your research by posting the URLs for the two options.

I have previously utilised this company for replacement screens; I dare assume xtrons has the same setup; however, the Bavarian screens did not require an aftermarket microphone.
Also installed a Droid UK one, which performed identically.
Without a doubt, all suppliers' screens originate from the same Chinese factory.

Just now, jennycarlotta said:

I have previously utilised this company for replacement screens; I dare assume xtrons has the same setup; however, the Bavarian screens did not require an aftermarket microphone.
Also installed a Droid UK one, which performed identically.
Without a doubt, all suppliers' screens originate from the same Chinese factory.

I've seen these in another post. I also want to know if the xtrons ones are the most recent and how to update the programme when needed.

Yes, all in-car functions function precisely as they do now; the Android displays simply receive the same data as the original display, but also add additional functionality.
If it were up to me, I would choose a DAB app over an add-on that utilises a flimsy stick-on antenna, as their signal quality is never optimal.

I got a droid unit from droiduk and put it in. This works with the standard mic that came with the car. You can also use a 3.5mm jack to connect an extra mic, which is what I've done. I found an original BMW mic for a good price, attached a 3.5mm jack plug to it, and then put it in. Since my car is a convertible, I put the second microphone right next to the first one in the steering hood. It works well, but the mic sound on phone calls is a little low, but I can still be heard. 

IMG_0595.jpeg

So I purchased it from Amazon

XTRONS 10.25-inch Car Stereo Android 11 Octa Core Touch GPS Navigator iDrive System With Integrated 4G LTE BMW 5 Series F10/F11 CIC DSP CarAutoPlay Android Auto Support DAB+ OBD2 DVR TPMS Camera https://amzn.eu/d/415i28L

Now I'm pondering if the processor is fast enough or if I should rescind the order and go with this one.

If it were me, I'd always look for the CPU with the greatest specifications and the maximum amount of memory since, just like with a computer or a laptop, you want the gadget to work swiftly and smoothly. When I link my vehicle to my smartphone via CarPlay, I utilise the built-in radio applications on my iPhone to listen to live streaming radio. I also have a 4G SIM card in my unit, however you can't use the Wi-Fi in the unit with the data sim at the same time if you have car play going. This is because car play connects to BT via an app called z-link, which utilises the Wi-Fi mode. No one tells you this. I found this out the hard way.