Unusual conduct of W204

dave783

Greetings, individuals. I am now experiencing some difficulties with my 2009 w204 C250 cdi. The issue arose during a drive on the motorway when the dashboard illuminated the ESP warning light and displayed a series of problems.
ESP/abs not accessible
The ESP system is currently not accessible.
The run flat system is not yet accessible.
The Speedtronic cruise control is not available.
Presafe system not operational

Simultaneously, the dashboard seemed to be intermittently activating and deactivating, accompanied by the illumination of the brake warning light.
The vehicle exhibits symptoms of gear disengagement and sliding gearbox, resulting in increased engine revolutions. Concurrently, the Power Assisted Steering (PAS) system fails to function during this occurrence.
The primary high-intensity headlights intermittently illuminate and extinguish.
The engine's pre-heat indicator is intermittently glowing.
This may include a mixture of any or all of the aforementioned options.
After the automobile is shut off, the dash ticks and the needles exhibit little bouncing.

However, the most significant issue is that once the engine is turned off, there is a frequent occurrence of failure to restart, with the engine not even turning over.
Typically, but not always, disconnecting a battery terminal for a few hours will enable the vehicle to be restarted. Occasionally, it seems to spontaneously rectify the issue temporarily, only to go back to its original state shortly thereafter.

The issue first manifested as sporadic, but it has gradually deteriorated. As a result, I have been without a functioning vehicle for many days now. I lack confidence in the car's ability to restart and safely transport me to my destination.

The Mercedes-Benz expert I consult with has attempted many troubleshooting measures, including the installation of a different Signal Acquisition Module (SAM), a new Electronic Ignition Switch (EIS), a new Electronic Steering Lock (ESL), thorough examination of grounding connections and wiring, replacement of the battery, and analysis of diagnostic codes, all of which consistently indicate the presence of CAN communication issues.

Initially, the situation was frustrating, but now I am considering driving my wife's vehicle to the repair shop to get a replacement battery and a gallon of gas.

I appreciate anyone who have read thus far and I would be glad for any insights or information anybody can provide. I was unable to locate any information throughout the search.
Moderators, if this question has been previously asked or violates any rules, please handle it accordingly. 🙂

I own a little film capturing the dash in action, which I will promptly upload from my mobile device.

It seems to be a significant issue with the electrical connection. The potential causes include faulty battery connections at both ends of the leads, power issues with the fuse box, starter, alternator, and even a possible problem with the ignition switch. Based on the information provided, it does not seem to be related to the electronic control unit (ECU) or any similar component. Therefore, it is advisable not to introduce new equipment without first examining the fundamental elements. Begin by inspecting all significant connections at both ends and proceed accordingly. Wishing you the utmost success.

Thank you for your response. Since the vehicle's ignition switch has already been replaced, I will attempt to move the car into the shed and begin inspecting the connections. Is it advisable to prioritise the inspection of ground connections initially?
I have seen that my video has not been posted either. 🤷‍♂️

Does the 204 model have the same alarm sounder as the 203 model (as well as many other Mercedes-Benz models)? Before proceeding, disconnect the device and observe the outcome. If there are no modifications, it is advisable to have the codes read.

It seems improbable that all of these codes are genuine, thus post #2 seems like a reasonable choice.

However, the most cost-effective method is to disconnect the alarm transmitter.

Located beneath the front left wheel arch, specifically behind the liner, the access is straightforward and uncomplicated. There are several hyperlinks available on the internet. The device has its own batteries, and in the event of its malfunction or decay, it may transmit erroneous voltage back into the vehicle.

There is a minimal probability that it might be the source of your troubles, but it is a simple item to rule out during your investigation.

Given that you mentioned the installation of a new ignition switch, it would be advisable to prioritise inspecting that component. Attempt to cycle the device many times and vigorously shake the key. Additionally, tap the device a couple of times while the engine is in operation. We hope that you are able to identify the issue promptly. Please keep us informed of any updates as we are eager to hear about a positive outcome.